New mount for Stanton Inside Drive

RogerS

Local time
9:01 AM
I recently completed a new mount for my Stanton inside drive kit, and did away with almost all of the universal parts of the mounting kit. I wanted to get the engine as close to the seat and as low as possible.
The main mount is made from a marine grade of plastic called StarBoard. Its a UV stable polypropolene. I machined in slots to match up to the frame perfectly so it could not twist or slide down. I also installed stainless steel Helicoil threaded inserts to improve thread strength. I have 175 miles on it since the make over completion without any problems. I think it came out looking pretty clean, let me know what you think.
Roger

Attachments

• P1010571.JPG
    P1010571.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 431
  • P1010576.JPG
    P1010576.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 405
  • P1010577.JPG
    P1010577.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Looks like you did a right fine job with that. A good idea made better, perhaps.
Let us know how the polymer holds up.

"Let us know how the polymer holds up."

Will do. I have 175 miles on it so far with no apparent issues. I was going to make it out of alluminum but I had the plastic on hand and thought what the heck I'll give it a shot.

That Starboard is cool.. I used it on my boat, It's easy to work with you can drill, saw or route it.

RogerS:
Looks like you skipped or eliminated the right side rear support. Any performance issues related to that?
Also, I see a down pipe or something on the exhaust. What's that?
-Mike

The front mount is so solid that I didn't feel I needed to go through all the extra work to put the right rear strut on. There haven't been any issues without it.
As far as the exhaust goes, I had some 1/2 inch thinwall tube laying around the shop that fit perfectly onto the R/S exhaust tip. I bent a 90 in a short length of it, and tacked it on with the TIG. Just by directing the exhaust downward reduces the volume a bit.

I bent a 90 in a short length of it, and tacked it on with the TIG. Just by directing the exhaust downward reduces the volume a bit.
Other than volume, did you notice a performance issue with that mod? Plus, minus?
-mike

Back