New Old Guy

kidwalt

Local time
12:48 AM
Well, I get idea that quite a few members of this forum are oldsters, reliving their youth. That's me.
I built a HT on an 80's Schwinn Comfort cruiser that I had and it works pretty well. Although I have replaced so many parts that the LBS is tired of seeing me walk in.
I plan to build another bike (like everyone else) and I am leaning toward a GEBE. The friction bikes seem simple and efficient, but my concern is a large number of flats on long rides due to the friction on the tire. The story of the trip to Mammoth Mountain by Backaximuth made me think that might have been his problem.
Anyway, Hello, and what's your feeling on heat affecting the durability of the rear tire?

Welcome to MBc, Walt. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under ‘Introduce Yourself’ has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky # 3 has info on forums, how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. But, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. If you are still stumped, post a question in the proper Forum.

The GEBE system should work well on your Schwinn Cruiser. I am not endorsing Gold Eagle or any other, but since you brought it up, it should work well. I would use a reliable engine like a Robin-Subaru EH035. Again not an endorsement, but it has worked fine for me and many others...but it is not cheap. My feeling is that it doesn't pay to start out with a cheap Chinese 2-stroke, if you can afford the best for just a little more. You could go with a 'Staton-Inc gear box and EHO35 engine combo'...they are bullet proof and sturdy. Again, do your research, and Good Luck.

Reading all the posts under friction drive it doesn't appear the bike causes all the flats. Mine will be on the road next week then I will know.

Back