New Plug wire for HT 80cc

TomMelee

Local time
3:49 AM
Hey...so I'm moving to FL and I broke the plug wire where it connects to the plug. Looking for suggestions on where to order the replacement, or if someone has gotten excellent results with some aftermarket wire. I already upgraded the plug...would like to not have to replace that whole assembly but I bet I have to...

~Melee

Oops edit: I don't need the whole new wire. I only broke the attachment @ the boot. I see that spookytooth has 'em. I don't see that the boot itself and the wire inside are easily replaced, but I might be wrong. Would prefer to not have to replace the entire cdi assembly.

Last edited:
Hey...so I'm moving to FL and I broke the plug wire where it connects to the plug. Looking for suggestions on where to order the replacement, or if someone has gotten excellent results with some aftermarket wire. I already upgraded the plug...would like to not have to replace that whole assembly but I bet I have to...

~Melee

Oops edit: I don't need the whole new wire. I only broke the attachment @ the boot. I see that spookytooth has 'em. I don't see that the boot itself and the wire inside are easily replaced, but I might be wrong. Would prefer to not have to replace the entire cdi assembly.

You do know that the plug wire just unscrews from the CDI.

What Ghost0 said.

Also this is from our install manual:

Spark Plug Wire
Remove your old spark plug wire from the CDI box by unscrewing it in a
counterclockwise rotation. Test fit the plug wire and cut it to an appropriate length. Screw
the cut end of the plug wire into the CDI box using a clockwise rotation and apply firm
pressure toward the CDI at the same time. The plug boot will require a standard ball type
end on you plug. The old stock one had this piece removed exposing a threaded tip. This
boot will not work with the stock plug. Be sure to acquire the correct plug.

I ended up getting rid of the truly horrible stock HT plug wire and boot, and replacing it with a bosch resistor lead with a moulded silicon boot - 7mm wire, inductive core, the boot is a lot smaller and when you put the screw cap on the spark plug (stock ht lead wont let you do this) it feels a lot more secure.

The lead I bought was about 250mm long, with right-angle sparkplug boots on each end, I tore the label off (should have kept it).

The 7mm leads are a tight fit, but they do work. Make sure you have a good contact with the screw in the CDI by measuring the resistance from the black wire (common) on the CDI to the tip of the sparkplug boot contact - it should measure about 3,000 Ohms (3K) or so. Mine was 3,300 IIRC.

Cheers

Back