new problem (cdi, mag)

S

sideshowsideswipe

haven't opened it up yet but I plan to tomorrow because just tonight as I was taking ANOTHER joyride around my hilly neighborhood it just stopped and now it won't turn over AT ALL, only one little chug for 5 minutes of hard pedalling!

very bizarre - I checked the plug was sparking, I know the carb is all set now and I don't know whay the engine just wont turn over...I'll post up what I find tomorrrow...

let's be clear...won't turn over or won't start? "won't turn over" are some vewy scawy words, man.

i'll assume "won't start": i've been told by a guy very in-the-know that the magneto is susceptible to moisture, check inside the magneto cover & let us know what you find, ok?

edit: duh, i just noticed that you said you had spark...is it a good strong one? did you check at the plug wire, or the plug itself?

to check the plug itself for a good spark, remove it, hold the threaded body to ground while someone cranks for you.

won't turn over and it rattles as I pedal as if the engine seized up or somehthing -please don't tell me it seized up.... :eek:

what else, what else...?

fuel evident in the line?

throttle cable working, needle moving?

with plug out, normal popping sound when cranking?

and just maybe...clogged exhaust? i've seen it on 2-stroke equipment, tho i haven't heard of it on the bike motors. maybe it's time to clean your sock?

ok before the spark awas working now it's not I'm going to get a new spark plug and see what happens...

an intermittent spark...ok, i revert to my first idea...check the magneto.

Bad spar

Hey, check where it goes onto that little box. Screw it and unscrew it before going through too much big jobs. Also but a little dielectric greese on it.

Re: Bad spar

davidsis said:
Hey, check where it goes onto that little box. Screw it and unscrew it before going through too much big jobs. Also but a little dielectric greese on it.

not sure I know what you're getting at, there doesn't seem to be anything to screw or unscrew there, just wires coming out of a black box.

put a new spark plug in and it isn't sparking with the new or the old so I ordered a new magneto. I hope this one lasts longer than 100 miles... :devilish: I"m REALLY pissed off.

wait, wait...are we on the same page here? CDI & magneto are 2 different animals...just makin' sure.

Back