new project - bought a windjammer - pics and problems

Just bought a pair of wind jammers for 400 bucks. They only had 2hrs usage. The guys wife didn't like them so they got put in the corner of garage for 2yrs until he got tired of storing them. Love them! I have a few questions. How long can you run them at a time or how far should you go at a time. How do you get them to fold? I tried but couldn't get them to. Don't want to break it. Was going to sell one until I read on your forum that you can't get parts for them. Any basic info on them would be great. Thanks!

I have run mine as far as 16 miles in a day. the manual above shows how the bike folds.
I also have 2 now .I bought a red one last fall. it needed a carburetor because it would not idle. i found the exact one on ebay for $10.They are tricky to get dialed in. Make sure you use good quality chainsaw oil. Stihl or echo are great.
Try to pedal a little when starting out or after stopping. The motor will last longer. It does not like low speeds with a load.
The only parts that you can not get are the rear wheel lockup assembly. The 2 freewheel repair can fix it. One put on right and the other reversed with bolts through the main gear is the only fix I have seen for the sprocket. I am sure that there are others, but the bikes are scarce so not many are out there to get information. The fix came from the original distributor who happens to live nearby.
My second bike is in perfect shape. I got it for $100 because the owner got tired of trying to adjust the carb. It would only run with the choke on. Even after a good soaking , it would only run with the choke on a little.It was much better to replace it.

Yesterday i traveled over a hundred miles to buy a windjammer folding bicycle . I had seen and driven 2 last week at someones house and had to have one. I found this one for $150 and just bought it. This bike has a 32 cc 2 stroke and weighs 44 pounds. the other ones I saw had either a honda or suburu 4 stroke.
I loaded this one the trunk of my old corolla. Amazing...
The bike has issues , of course , but I'll get them sorted out.
The most serious one is the freewheel cassette for the motor drive has a bad retainer ring. There is about 50 tiny ball bearings on each side and one slipped into the groove that the retainer wire sets in. It put metal in the groove Now the pawl's will not engage. I ground a new slot with a metabo and a thin blade so the retainer will expand as it should . It worked for about 10 minutes. I spent hours taking it apart again . Hopefully I have it better this time.
The gas line has a hole and so did the primer bulb.Sitting too long with gas. I replaced the primer bulb from one I had lying around from a locked up weed wacker. The motor is still hard to start because of low fuel pressure. Until i get new lines , I just put seal all on them.
I did get it running earlier today so I am on the right track.
Here is a couple pictures for those of you that have never seen one of these cool bikes. If anyone has ideas about this weird dual sprocket setup let me know.I would love to get this bike more reliable.
img0283uc.jpg

By double1trouble1 at 2012-09-09
img0283uc.jpg

Dear sir, my name is Scott Firman sfirman9@gmail.com I have a yellow wind jammer that I am eather interested in fixing up or selling as a parts bike. I would be interested to know if you found a parts supplier or where you can aquire parts for this bike. Mine needs a rear axle and wheel,along with sprockets for both the motor and wheel as well as chain.

Could you forward a website or something I can at least look for parts. Thankyou,
Sincerly, Scott Firman

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday i traveled over a hundred miles to buy a windjammer folding bicycle . I had seen and driven 2 last week at someones house and had to have one. I found this one for $150 and just bought it. This bike has a 32 cc 2 stroke and weighs 44 pounds. the other ones I saw had either a honda or suburu 4 stroke.
I loaded this one the trunk of my old corolla. Amazing...
The bike has issues , of course , but I'll get them sorted out.
The most serious one is the freewheel cassette for the motor drive has a bad retainer ring. There is about 50 tiny ball bearings on each side and one slipped into the groove that the retainer wire sets in. It put metal in the groove Now the pawl's will not engage. I ground a new slot with a metabo and a thin blade so the retainer will expand as it should . It worked for about 10 minutes. I spent hours taking it apart again . Hopefully I have it better this time.
The gas line has a hole and so did the primer bulb.Sitting too long with gas. I replaced the primer bulb from one I had lying around from a locked up weed wacker. The motor is still hard to start because of low fuel pressure. Until i get new lines , I just put seal all on them.
I did get it running earlier today so I am on the right track.
Here is a couple pictures for those of you that have never seen one of these cool bikes. If anyone has ideas about this weird dual sprocket setup let me know.I would love to get this bike more reliable.
img0283uc.jpg

img0283uc.jpg

Hello, I bought a yellow Wind Jammer today. It had not been running in some time. Pumped the tires up. Connected the chains--they were all messed up. The folding clamp had the nut/bolt in backwards--got that working. I can ride it now using the peddles. Next thing is to put gas mixture in and see if it starts, the guy who sold it to me says motor will run.
I searched internet for contacts and any help. So far, just a lot of old information, phones disconnected etc.
The seller told me they paid $1200 for it. Sound right? I paid $30 and bought it ---sounded like great bargain. I am having second thoughts, they say parts are not available. I found the Made in China sticker on the frame (not good). If and when I get it started, will follow up. Anyone know how old these are? As I said, mine is yellow. The seat is very comfortable but looking very ragged.

Windjammer

It depends which engine you have .There are several . I need a few pictures to help you. I can take some of my carb if it helps you too. Windjammers are great bikes . I just rode mine yesterday.
The best solution is to buy a used honda mini tiller and remove the motor from it. It is a direct bolt on. That way you get a reliable 4 stroke for $100-150 and it will run forever.
Let me know if there is anything i can do to help.
I have the yellow one it's the hardest thing to start . So I'm looking for the biggest engine that you sell that's a that starts by pushing a button my name is Allen, please send me a message thank you

Back