New project but not sure I want to continue.

D

Dockspa1

This is a 70sish Sears and Roebuck speedster. got it cheap.
963_PA270118_1.jpg

963_PA270122_1.jpg

This is the modification I have done to fit my short legs and still fit the 70cc engine. I dropped the seat tube and the cross bar 4.5 " and rewelded.
963_PB160018_1.jpg

The problem is this is a three speed with the 1-3/8 rim and tire.
I don't think I can find a single speed rim to fit it for the 70cc strength.
Also worried about the strength of the rear mods that I made.
I NEED input. Help :???:
Thank compadres
Doc

3-speed blues

Hi, well, I have relaced 26x1 3/8 3-speed wheel with a coaster into the same rim, same spokes. They used to make single -speed (coaster) rear wheels, but I don't think the coaster in that size is avail in the US.

Mike

Doc,

my schwinn speedster started life with 26 X 1 3/8 tires. (also 3 speed)
I put a regular (the more common size) 26" coaster brake rear & matching size on the front. I used 26 X 1.5 Kenda Kwest 100 psi tires.
there was plenty of room between the stays & fork for these wider than stock tires. And....it made the bike sit lower, with plenty of pedal ground clearance.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=823

here's a before & after look.

59_100_1386_2.jpg

59_100_1439_2.jpg

your frame mods look cool. If you don't trust your welds.... have you thought about gussets?

Thanks for your help MB's. Dave, after looking at your shwinn, I think that mine was a knock off of yours. I will search for some 1.5's and yes, I believe I will gusset it. I have a little 110 Volt mig & just to be on the safe side, I better.
Wow, it fits me perfect though, as far as my short legs go. :)
That 1-3/8 is a tight fit as it is, so I will try to find a real cheap 1.5 to test.
Thanks again ya'll.
Doc

Hey, I guess maybe, I could cut a little from my drop outs to make it fit. Would lose some adjustment length but it just might work.
Mike, didn't they use to use the 1-3/8 on almost all the ten speeds?
Later
Doc

26x 1 3/8 wheels

Hi Dockspal, no the 26x 1 3/8 was used on 3-speeds, single speeds, and some of the 5-speed Schwinn Contental's ( I have one) tho some ot the Schwinn's used a different sized tire on the bike, and it would not interchange with the rest of the world. Most 10 speeds were 27x 1 1/4 tho some were made 24x 1 3/8 same as the smaller 3-speeds. I too have used narrow 26x1.5 wheel and tire combo on a 3-speed that I made into a single for a girl a while back. Coasters are simple and almost indestructable in my experiance.

Mike

Back