New project Rans Stratus XP

Discussion in 'Motorized Recumbents' started by ollicat, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ollicat

ollicat Member

Hey folks, I am in the process of purchasing a used Rans Stratus XP. I am going to mount a GEBE engine on it. Has anyone here done this before? Can anyone offer tips, especially concerning

mounting the engine
    throttle location
    working with disc brakes

Thanks for your help

David

<
  2. ollicat

ollicat Member

Anyone, Anyone?

3. Bruce

Bruce New Member

How did your build turn out?? I am curious as to your rear tire size and you rim choice.

4. recumbentbill

recumbentbill New Member

Rans/gebe

Yo C Ville. I GEBE ed my RANS Veleocity Squared. Different than a Stratus but mounting the GEBE sould not be to different. I ordered the gebe laced up wheel . Don't recommend using the stock wheel with the quick release. You might have a problem with clearance with the disk brake. Any way the GEBE on a bent does really well BUT there are two drawbacks that led me to quit riding the bent/GEBE setup. 1st is --My head was way to close to the engine and the noise was too much for me[both stock muffler and the expansion chamber. 2cd---The exhaust fomes will get cha good. Seems like the wide seat and my back created a area for the exhaust fumes to circulate up and around my head. other than that the V2 was very fast .With the fairing the bikes speed was 40-45 no problem with the small 28cc tanaka. Hope this helps you
    Cheers from Millington

Attached Files:

5. ollicat

ollicat Member

Got the GEBE all hooked up and running on the RANS Stratus. All I had to do was insert some washers to spread the fork and it worked great. I used the standard GEBE wheel with 10 guage spokes. It just BARELY clears the forks but works great.

It is a little bit louder but really not noticably so. And I don't smell any fumes at all. I am running the TLE-43. I LOVE the setup when cruising. The only thing I don't like has nothing to do with the engine setup. Getting started, especially up a hill is very challenging. If I am at an intersection, stopped, and need to get going. I know walk my bike across the street. Otherwise, you weave all over the road getting started to about 7 or 8 mph and look like an idiot. Plus, you can run into the car next to you. Like I said, this is the problem even without an engine mounted.