New Project!!

Running an 80cc 2 storke on this Murray Tandem bike. Any suggestions on running a extra long chain?? Figured I'd need 2 tensioners for the chain. And what size sprocket do you recommend? Smaller or standard?? Should definitely upgrade to a workman extra strong wheel I think. Let me know what yall think!!

Attachments

• 20200827_120739.jpg
    20200827_120739.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,009
The tandem bikes I've seen built have the motor in the rear part of the frame. So it's the normal distance for the drive chain

Instead of 2 chain tensioners. Maybe you could run a double sprocket jackshaft that's mounted to the second seat post. The chain between the engine and jackshaft could be pulled tight by adjusting the engine. Then you could run a chain guard over the first chain. The second chain would run between the jackshaft and rear wheel sprocket. This chain would use a chain stay mounted chain tensioner.

If two people are on it, you'll want a bigger sprocket on the back. Like a 48 or 54, never get up hills otherwise.

If I was making the bike I'd get a longer crank for the rear and make that into a jackshaft with two gears, one from the motor and one to rear wheel. Or move motor back.

Back