New ratio 4G gearbox from Grubee

This is all very complicated to me as i'm not very math competent. That being said, could you guys take a look at this bike and tell me how it would perform with the Honda g4 t belt drive?

http://www.usabikemotors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_18&products_id=144

Much appreciated

Don't buy it for the following reasons:
It is a piece of **** - the frame is pokey with the saddle post too near the handlebars;
It is totally the wost of Chinese manufacturing;
The 2-piece stem snaps off suddenly in a way that can kill you;
The zoom forks are the lowest quality you can get;
It is heavily overpriced even at it's discounted price - it just aint worth more than $120 new;
You can buy a good Alloy Schwinn for that price;
The wheel rims are not bad and the spokes aren't bad although they are galv not s'steel but the tyres and the frame are total junk
Read the thread on it & find out. I think I was the first to try this terrible product.
Secondly, the G4 only works if you get the right model of gearbox & engine so take great care.
You need the old type HS motoe with the gearbox made for the Honda and it must be the one with the smaller rear pulley wheel and 10T fixed drive sprocket - the Mark 2 model. Be very careful you don't end up with the Mark1 which is as much use as ti*s on a bull. I wrote the first thread on it as well.

This is all very complicated to me as i'm not very math competent. That being said, could you guys take a look at this bike and tell me how it would perform with the Honda g4 t belt drive?

http://www.usabikemotors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_18&products_id=144

Much appreciated

That bike with the 4G drive with either the Honda or the HS clone motor should make a fine set-up.

That being said I see that our local Grubee 4G Hater has responded and you need to be very aware of his biases. So read thru his threads on this subject and then contact member RecumbentBill and ask him about the 4G drive. He is a member here that has owned and ridden several of the current drives available (Grubee III Gearbox, EZM Q-Matic, and most recently the Grubee 4G) and he has found for him the 4G to be the best. Now the problem with the stem mentioned by IrishJohn, that's a simple remove and replace fix, and stems are relatively cheap/inexpensive.

ocscully

Last edited:
That bike with the 4G drive with either the Honda or the HS clone motor should make a fine set-up.

That being said I see that our local Grubee 4G Hater has responded and you need to be very aware of his biases. So read thru his threads on this subject and then contact member RecumbentBill and ask him about the 4G drive. He is a member here that has owned and ridden several of the current drives available (Grubee III Gearbox, EZM Q-Matic, and most recently the Grubee 4G) and he has found for him the 4G to be the best. Now the problem with the stem mentioned by IrishJohn, that's a simple remove and replace fix, and stems are relatively cheap/inexpensive.

ocscully

I buy thousands of dollars worth of Grubee products every year so I might be more qualified than you to speak about the stuff plus I also praise things that work OK.
Read Recumbent Bill's thread because he has the G4 I was referring to that works - the Honda one on the old HS motor - NOT the Mark1 G4 which I am so rude about. Tell me Oscully, where on this Forum is there a single thread praising the Mark1 that is written by anyone that isn't a vendor for it?
NoPed needs to know what he is up for and for the price that they are asking for that bike a Schwinn Alloy offers much better value. The RRP of $550 or whatever was ludicrous from the outset - they are never priced at that price range so NoPed needs to beware of that offer.
There are too many vendors on this site exercising too much influence on the plain truth as the consumer sees it and you have been around long enough to remember what I am talking about.
PM me NoPed if you want to know exactly why I recommend you do not buy this bike. There is better value elsewhere. The Australian importer was so unimpressed with the GT1 that he has found another supplier for his host bikes and they are cheaper and many times better.
If people don't know about the stem failure prooblem they could die on those bikes - did Grubee fix this problem? Did they do a product recall? Pigs might fly.

NoPed, the Grubee GT2 bike still has the totally unorthodox stem which makes it lethal to ride because it can snap in two at at any time. The steel frame is probably very strong because it is a thicker wall CHS steel tubing but it was designed by someone who doesn't actually use the product and who is under the misapprehension that the frame needs to be that strength of tubing when in fact it doesn't. How strong it actually is is a test I would love to have subjected it to but the test lab I used to use for testing building materials has been sold off and I don't have access to it like I used to. A cheap supermarket bike may well be too weak for motorising (although many members here use them without much trouble) but a good mid-range quality cruiser ally or steel is quite strong enough to accomodate a 4-stroke motor.
The cheap Micargi cruisers aren't (I tried to use one and the downtube cracked in first month). I admire the quality of the Schwinn, Felt cruisers and I'm sure there are others - you can tell from just looking and riding them.
$449 will buy you a new Schwinn cruiser from a bike shop and much less from a supermarket but the quality is less good.
The GT1 cruiser was inordinately heavy and that sort of weight is unnecessary. Strength is not all in the tube thickness but in the tube quality and the quality of the welding. I have no doubt the GT1 & 2 are strong but the frames are pokey and the stem is a death trap that they refuse to acknowledge and that tells you a lot about their business ethics.
I have learnt the hard way by buying, using the product and experiencing the consequences. Each time I go against my gut instinct I am setting myself up for disappointment. I did it with the GT1 and the 4G Mark1 GB and the Micargi cruiser range and found them all to be totally unsuited for the purpose of motored biking.
I agree with Oscully that the 4G on Recumbent Bill's bike works and the reason it works is because it is not the combination that I bought. It is not the Mark1 4G which I bought 2 of.
I would recommend RecumbentBill's set up because there is no substitute for talking to someone who actually uses the product he is talking about. What I am saying is don't buy the GT2 cos it isn't that good for the price and if you buy a 4G get the one I refer to on the thread above because it actually works.
Here are some pictures of why I don't speak well of the GT1 or Micargi cruisers and I stand by all I say because it is based on bitter experience.
The Grubee GT cruiser range was a good idea poorly executed by someone who doesn't ride bikes, doesn't take advice and whose business ethics are all about profit at any cost. But occasionallt he gets things right - usually after several attempts.

Attachments

• Micargi Touch 7.jpg
    Micargi Touch 7.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 401
  • PICT0009A.jpg
    PICT0009A.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 405
  • GrubeeGT1a.jpg
    GrubeeGT1a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 364
  • GrubeeGT1.jpg
    GrubeeGT1.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, someone is bitter! Drink a fifth of Bailey's and smile IJ.

A fifth of Baileys wouldn't make the GT cruiser any better but a full 40 oz. bottle might make me insane enough to tell NoPed it is really good buy.
But the morning after I'd have to come clean and apologise to him if I wanted to sleep OK at night.

Thank you; i will indeed do some more digging cause i must end up with a bike that will last; that's why i'm opting for the Honda 49cc; i'm definetly set on going with it.

"if it don't fit, force it" :)

As a teenager i never heeded the input of others; thank God that in my fifties i do. your news about the bike was disheartening but i need to know the score cause my first build needs to be right and last forever! thanks for the heads up; i'm off to recumbentbill's words of wisdom.

be seeing you

Precisely NoPed. I too can't be bothered with things that are no good. All I've learnt has come through this Forum and from my own good & bad experiences. Riding 25000 miles has also been very useful because it gives me a guage to apply to products.
It was Oscully who helped me when I built my first 4-stroke kit and guided me to Bicycle-Engines.Com who were really great. I use predominantly Grubee products but that doesn't mean I have to suck up to them and speak well of things that aren't any good.
If something is totally junk then I will say it's junk. RecumbenBill's 4G is OK and my Mark1 4gs are junk - ipso facto.
The 2010 range of Schwinn cruisers are also very disappointing in terms of unsuitability for motorising and there has been a big quality drop with a rise in price. I spent $7400 on Schwinns last year but that doesn't mean I have to like them as a Company - some of their products are pretty crud and they aren't big on aftermarket parts but, like Grubee, some of their stuff is pretty good too.
Then there are all the makers of bicycle front lights but don't get me started on them.

Back