New Rear Wheel for GEBE

M

Member 5549

My stock Schwinn Point Beach rear wheel is on it's last leg.
Got one broken spoke so far and it's slowly getting out of round.
I was thinking about one of those Velicity wheels from GEBE but man 25 bucks for shipping on a 60 dollor wheel !!!!!
I was also looking at ebay but not sure about quality..
anybody know where any good deals are for a 26" 36 hole wheel with solid axel ????
Or should I just pay 100 bucks to GEBE and be done with it..

Bama

Does the SX7 have a solid axel, and use slip on cassettes ??
so you had to buy the cassettes also, mine I think are screw on and won't work.

They are screw on, and your bike shop could unscrew it with the special socket when it comes in....

Solid axle, superior bearings according to my shop guy.

TIP: the cleanest device for putting the soap in the notches, to remove the ring from the old spokes and snapping it on the new 12 gaugers, is a 12cc syringe, .20 cents max, available at any Farmer's coop or animal hospital.

PM thewheelmaster or go to his website....see what he sayes,then compare.
Personally i don't like Velocity wheels cos from what i've seen their all single-walled.
Wheels are pretty personal items so ultimately it's your decision man.....play :geek:
http://thewheelmaster.com/

$85.00 for a good wheel, shipped, is not a terribly bad price.

But you might do better if you look around. Recently I was looking at a set of wheels on ebay. The spokes were listed as .105 gauge. (A term I'm not familiar with. I've had the impression, though, that it's a thick spoke. Can anyone explain this measure?)

I've forgotten the price. But I remember figuring on about a hundred bucks after shipping.

Yea

$85.00 for a good wheel, shipped, is not a terribly bad price.

But you might do better if you look around. Recently I was looking at a set of wheels on ebay. The spokes were listed as .105 gauge. (A term I'm not familiar with. I've had the impression, though, that it's a thick spoke. Can anyone explain this measure?)

I've forgotten the price. But I remember figuring on about a hundred bucks after shipping.

105 G is just that a very thick spoke, It's so thick that if you want to use them with the GEBE ring you have to file the slots on the ring to make them wider...GEBE also sells a 105 G wheel...

The spokes were listed as .105 gauge. (A term I'm not familiar with. I've had the impression, though, that it's a thick spoke. Can anyone explain this measure?)

When you see spoke thickness expressed in "gauge" notation with the gauge being a small number like 10 or 12, that generally means they are using AWG (American Wire Gauge). In this system smaller numbers represent thicker wire, or in this case spokes. To convert the number to a thickness in inches you have to look it up in a table. For instance, AWG 12 gauge is 0.0808" diameter.

When you see the gauge expressed as a bigger 3 digit number, then it generally means they are using 1000ths of an inch or inches directly. Obviously in this system larger numbers indicate a thicker wire. For instance if the spoke is listed as 105 gauge, that would mean it is 0.105" (slightly thicker than AWG 10 gauge).

I think "normal" spokes are 12 (0.0808") or 14 (0.0641") gauge. The 105 gauge spokes are very heavy (close to AWG 10 gauge).

Thats right big potato

Thanks for the AWG refreser course.
I had forgot about it ...
:rolleyes:

Back