New rules for e-bikes in Pennsylvania.

butterbean, you ride an unregistered and uninsured motored bicycle and the cops don't bother you. Have you ever wondered why? It's because in Pennsylvania an "assisted pedalcycle" is LEGAL. Otherwise they would stop you and cite you. Young guys ride unregistered motored bikes all over Erie without being bothered by the police, BECAUSE THEY ARE LEGAL! There is a section in the Pa. motor code book that covers this and it is NOT the section covering mopeds! Believe whatever you wish, but the proof is you are not being stopped everytime the cops see you. I rest my case.

can you provide the section under title 75? or from pa.legis.gov i would love to show some proof of this to our local department who has been harassing me on my 1980 puch maxi.

thanks in advance

MBike,
I would like to know what section of Title 75 you are looking at. I'm a police officer and have never heard of an "assisted pedacycle". Title 75 Section 102 has all the definitions of vehicles and yours is not listed. I'd like to know what I missed. And for the reason we don't stop people on motorized bicycles is simple, we don't need to waste our time.

May I ask if an individual under dui suspension would be breaking that restrictions by adding a small electric motor to a bicycle. Them doing this for aid in ease of travel that is under these limits and adheres to the moving and code laws if they used it as a means of transport?

May I ask if an individual under dui suspension would be breaking that restrictions by adding a small electric motor to a bicycle. Them doing this for aid in ease of travel that is under these limits and adheres to the moving and code laws if they used it as a means of transport?
NOTE: A pedalcycle with an electric assist is defined as a vehicle weighing not more than 100 pounds with two or three wheels more than 11 inches in diameter, manufactured or assembled with an electric motor system rated at not more than 750 watts, and equipped with operable pedals and capable of a speed not more than 20 miles per hour on a level surface when powered by the motor source only. The term does not include a device specifically designed for use by persons with disabilities.
Pedalcycles with electric assist are considered a bicycle and do not require titling, registration or insurance. The operator does not require a driver’s license but must be at least 16 years of age.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-momo.pdf

NOTE: A pedalcycle with an electric assist is defined as a vehicle weighing not more than 100 pounds with two or three wheels more than 11 inches in diameter, manufactured or assembled with an electric motor system rated at not more than 750 watts, and equipped with operable pedals and capable of a speed not more than 20 miles per hour on a level surface when powered by the motor source only. The term does not include a device specifically designed for use by persons with disabilities.
Pedalcycles with electric assist are considered a bicycle and do not require titling, registration or insurance. The operator does not require a driver’s license but must be at least 16 years of age.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-momo.pdf

I read that and I think I understand it, but legally and at great peril to myself if I'm riding this bicycle which meets all of those regs and a cop stops me like they do as mentioned in this forum and he asks me to produce a driver's license I can't I will have a state id and I'm pretty damn sure I tell him that and I'm going to jail wether he believes it's actually legal or not then I have to fight criminal charges. I don't have the legal funds to defend myself and I seriously doubt a public defender is going to be able to win that case. Let alone even try unfortunately. Is there anyone on here that can give a definitive answer bc I've look for the last 6 hours I've read the whole vehicle code of law section 75 for Pennsylvania as well as my local municipalities laws which is Meadville in Crawford county and I can't find one case that pertains to this for a precedent nor any cases that could be used in defense.

Unless you are under some sort of court order prohibiting you from riding a bicycle, or it's a restriction as a result of your DUI conviction I'm not quite sure what your concern is here. Are you sure that you fully understand the part of the law that says "the operator does not require a driver's license but must be at least 16 years of age"?

Might i suggest you print this out and carry it with you while you're riding your electric assisted bicycle:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Driver and Vehicle Bulletins/Bulletin 14-21 Special Edition.pdf

If you do get pulled over and asked for your driver license politly hand the officer the copy along with your state ID. Should be pretty straight forward wouldn't you say? Especially the part where it says "pedalcycles with electric assist are no longer considered a moped and will be treated as a bicycle".

The previous post and discussions were from those who have been pulled over and or harrasssed riding "gas bikes" which can sometimes be noisy or smoky often drawing increased attention of the police. Electric bicycles tend to fly under the radar so unless you built some sort of crazy looking contraption or ride like an idiot your chances of getting pulled over should be very slim.

Fun fact: a bicycle qualifies as a “vehicle” for purposes of the DUI statute, however, one can ride a bicycle and not run afoul of the Driving Under Suspension Statute.

Found here: http://www.peterkratsacriminaldefense.com/practice-area/dui/

Last edited:
Hi, I think the laws on powered bicycles in Pa are changing again, I tried to find out from penndot,6 months back, I emailed back and forth and round and round with "supervisors" from penndot for a couple months with dozens of emails on this subject of legality and regulations of adding a 49cc gas engine to a bicycle with 18 to 1 engine rpm reduction, "they could not give me an straight answer", one says e-bikes are classified with either gas or electric engines, gas under 49cc, no more than 1.5hp brake HP, 750 watt max, 20 mph speed limit max, no insurance or registration, the other said "low speed vehicles such as bicycles cannot be registered in Pa" as motor vehicles no matter what is pushing them, if penndot supervisors don't know, who does ? if anyone actually has it in writing that gas powered bikes are mopeds and need registration and insurance you might want to send it to penndot supervision, mike gensel, mdg50pen@aol.com

You might be looking for the wrong thing in the law, In Ontario Canada Its under the heading of "Power Assisted Bicycle", In the highway traffic act of 2015 (in Ontario)

I cannot remeber exactly but electric bike's and motorized bikes under 50cc in Canada cannot be over 500 watts (~.5hp) and must have pedals and you must be over 16 years old. Also I think there are only 3 provinces that it is legal.

Hi All, just had conversation with Jen Michaels, a supervisor from penndot, she said bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has, mike gensel

Hi All, just had a conversation with Jen Michaels from penndot, she is a supervisor, she said bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has, mike gensel

Electrics are not required to have registration or licensing thanks to act 154 amendments in pennsylvania and federal statutes that regulate electric assisted bikes, they didn't mention gas engine assisted bikes though, other than penndot supervisors in pennsylvania DMV saying bicycles cannot be registered, I cannot find anywhere that they don't require registration, guess they like to pick on gas engines, I do not know if electric assisted bikes are still considered mopeds, even modern mopeds don't have pedals now, they are just scooters with a small engine, mike

Back