New rules for e-bikes in Pennsylvania.

Hi All, just had a conversation with Jen Michaels from penndot, she is a supervisor, she said bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has, mike gensel

Noooo not a bicycle with engine assist, you are registering your MOPED.

MO - MOTOR
PED - PEDALS

MOPED

Hi, my name is ______ __________ I’m here to register my moped.

All you do is complicate things the minute you mention bicycle that you added an engine to, the clerks’ brains go into full meltdown.

F7040F5A-C857-4E32-A99E-7AD2714E11A5.jpg

Note: This one is not mine however it’s just one example of the many bicycles registered as a moped that you can find online

There is a lot of mis-information on the net, one electric bike site, EVELO has posted the meaning of an e-bike in pennsylvania and in part they quote , cylinder capacity of no more than 50cc and no more than1.5hp, cylinder capacity is only for gas engines, I have asked them over and over where they got that information and they won't or can't tell me but it is still up on their site, I have looked in pennsylvania act 154 which addresses e-bikes or electric assist bikes/pedacycles but no where can I find that wording, these people are apparently putting false information on the internet, mike

I have not found any title and tag place in my area that has a clue on how to register a bicycle to get a license plate, mike

That photo looks like it is a much larger engine than 50cc that would make it a motorcycle anyway according to Pa law, mike

e-bikes are legal now under act 154 in pennsylvania and don't require registration with electric motors because they are not classified as mopeds anymore but apparently gasoline motors on bicycles/pedacycles are still classified as mopeds, why do they pick on the ones with gas motors, yet , if you ask penndot, they say bicycles can't be registered, this state is so screwed up but nothing new, mike

I give up, why even bother trying to register a engine assisted bicycle, might as well just buy a motorcycle, a lot less trouble, mike
This hobby is not for everyone, especially those who are not willing to put in the work it takes to ride legally or quasi legal. For those folks owning a pedal bike and a scooter or motorcycle is often times a better option.

Back