New Schwinn Build

Thanks Quenton,
I kind of suspected this. I'll send that lever back tomorrow. I'm probably 2-3 weeks away from needing the motor. Mainly waiting on info from you before I can send this frame off to powder coat and order final parts. Chris

I will be going to Portland this year Quenton, but don't know if the bike is show worthy. Do they have a Whizzer category? Do they have a H- model conversion w/ lots of repop parts category?lol Hope to bring both bikes. Chris

The show is worth considering, but will be difficult and would involve renting a van and multiple trips back and forth, and trying to get time off work on a new job. Just don't know if i'll be able to do all that! The good thing is I'm only a hour away from there and it's a few months away so anything could happen!
By the way Quenton, I'm on the way to the post office to send you that carb we talked about. Thanks for taking care of that for me! I'm also sending back that compression lever as you suggested and ordered the other one

Last edited:
Custom Tanks

I wanted to share some info on Custom gas tanks for motorized bikes that I meant to include earlier. Guys who are building classic Whizzers may not be interested in this, but those looking for a custom made tank should check out this website.http://anythinggoes74.com/.
I spent hours searching and researching the web for anyone who made or sold a decent looking tank. This isn't meant to be critical because I'm sure that some people think that my tank might like stupid or too big or not traditional........ My point is that there isn't a lot of choices out there. Why would anyone want to put a cheap piece of Chinese junk on a classic American made motorbike if you didn't have to?
Anyway, I came across this guy Curt of Anything Goes on eBay. He specializes in custom fabricating motorcycle oil tanks. I figured if he could make those, then he could make a gas tank! I called Curt and told him exactly what I wanted and he called me back the next day with his price.
I sent him my custom rack and he fabricated the Tank, brackets, and welded everything up for me to specification! I think it costed me about $120 and that included shipping. He also takes paypal. I got my tank in about a week! After that it was off to powder coating and than I painted it and added custom made vinyl decals.
One of the reasons I wanted to share my build on this site was to show that building a nice bike was not too difficult and that if you have the desire and the cash anyone can do it. In the past it took people years to build a project like this because it took that long just to acquire the parts you would need. Deep pockets help too! Back in the day you had to go to swap meets or send a quarter and a s.a.s.e. just to get a parts catalog and wait 4-6 weeks! ( I feel old saying this). Nowdays with the Internet we have access to info at are fingertips.
Anyway, if your looking for a nice custom tank for your bike, give this guy a call!
Chris IMG_20140311_135736.jpgIMG_20140311_135743.jpg

Yesterday I finally received one of the last parts I've been looking for to make my bike complete. A nicely re-chromed vintage Phantom handle bar stem! Been looking for one of these for a while now. Sometimes you see them on ebay for a ridiculous price, but I was finally able to get this beauty at a fair price.
The very last piece I'm looking for is a Schwinn scripted drum brake handle. I just haven't been able to talk myself into paying $95 bucks for a brake handle. What a ripoff! The whole bike new didn't cost that much! It's just ridicules, and I get ****ed every time I think of it. When I compare it to other items I've purchased for $95 or less it just doesn't make sense! I may just stick with the clutch lever I've been usingIMG_20140621_081635.jpgIMG_20140621_081650.jpgIMG_20140621_081705.jpg

This stem didn't cost anywhere near $95 dollars. I just might tie a @#$! piece of string to it and yank on it when I need to stop. lol That's my rant for today!

I hear you about the $95!!! My dad's bike was a non-scripted handle. I got it for $35 with new cable. it's not rechromed, but in fair condition. If a script comes along, i'll hollar. will look good on your bike.

Thanks Paul,
I don't even have to have the scripted one, just one in that style.You know I don't mind paying a fair price for things. I've spent 1000's of dollars on whizzer and Schwinn original and reproduction parts, but this brake handle thing really angers me! Just to put it in prospective, I didn't pay that much for the gas tank, seat, ml5b carb, original Schwinn chain gaurd ( including price of the guard, shipping, powder coating, custom hand pin striping and decal! Or a reproduction whizzer throttle! A brake handle doesn't rate on the same page as far as I'm concerned.
Chris

Back