New Schwinn Build

Wow, that doesn't sound like much tonnage, unless you could somehow do it in small "bites". Seems like you would need some kind of die, or something, as well.

Paula

Thanks Chainmaker. Just finished getting the bike together last night and hopefully will ride it today for first time. Stay tuned for finished pics in the next week or two.

I came up with a pretty good design for my belt guard cover and wanted to post a pic of it. I purchased this guard on ebay and it was all chrome, but I didn't feel it added anything special to the bike, so I had it powder coated black and then I painted the red myself.

I than took a Schwinn chain guard decal to a custom sign shop and had a larger decal made to the size shown in the pic. I think it turned out really nice and adds to the look of the bike!

Took the bike out last Sunday for it's first trial run and man was it exciting! I had no problems with the the belts rubbing at all, but did have a problem with the front belt being too tight. Bike would stall when I tried to stop because the belt was still biting with the clutch fully applied. I also need to dial in the carb a bit.

I also had to do a little bending of the pedal crank arm as it barely cleared the oil drain and now I need to do the other side as there is a slight clearance problem with the chain guard, but not a big deal. I will try to add a few pics of that this weekend.

I also will be painting and mounting the front fender this weekend with time permitting. Stay tuned for more pics and info this weekend.

Attachments

• !Br,JyGQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKisEu,)I-SPWBLzhc!D46!~~_12.JPG
    !Br,JyGQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKisEu,)I-SPWBLzhc!D46!~~_12.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20131107_200913.jpg
    IMG_20131107_200913.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 400
Back at it.

Due to some unexpected circumstances I had to put my build on hold for a bit, but I am able to continue now and have most of the parts I need to finish. Early on I realized I was going to have some fitment issues with this build, and I can now say that it's been as challenging as I could imagine! That's actually putting it mildly. Every single nut and bolt has fought me every step of the way!!! But I think for some of us, this is why we choose to challenge ourselves. If I could start this project over again I probably would have started with a old completed bike or a WZ frame, however this project started out as a simply Phantom build and morphed into a Phantom whizzer build.
A big part of my project revolves around a custom rack that came with the bike when I first got it. It was very nicely constructed out of solid tubular steel and fits the bike perfectly! Originally I planned to not use a rear fender on this bike for several reasons , one of them being that I knew the rack wouldn't fit with a fender, and the other being I figured a wz fender may not work with this frame. Unfortunately I was right on both counts.
Of course that doesn't mean I can't make it fit. Custom right? Below is a few poor quality pics of the rack.SUNP0017.jpgSUNP0018.jpg
I'll have to remove the cross braces in order to make the fender fit. The rack sits much lower than a standard Schwinn rack would and I can't alter the height now. Of course I've already had it powder coated. Next is a few pics of the of the drop stand I just got from memory Lane. I've put the stand on to see how it would work using a extra Shimano hub that I have. I also had to remove the rear wheel for the purpose of fitting the fender.IMG_20140104_232409.jpgIMG_20140104_232427.jpgIMG_20140104_232459.jpg

Next is a pic of the fender on the bike. As you can see, the fender is nowhere near where it needs to be. I may be able to squeeze the fender together enough to get it up to the brace, but will probably have to do some cutting on this fender. This is something I am hesitant to do,( This fender was $100) but at least it's not powder coated yet!IMG_20140104_225950.jpg

I've also decided to change my springer fork to a locking one. One of the reasons I'm sharing my build on this site is to share info with people who may want to pick up a tip or two for their own projects. Some of this may be obvious to some and not to others. There are several people online that sell the reproduction lock kit on ebay and Memory Lane also has it in there catalog.
Here's what I know, there are 2 different steering tubes for the Schwinn springer fork. The 2 look similar but are completely different. If you don't already have the one with the big hole in it for the lock, you will not be able to use the lock kit with the other! Some sellers of this lock kit offer a disclaimer saying they don't know if this will work with your application. Here is a photo of the proper one.IMG_20140101_155458.jpg

Also needed is a special bearing cup ( pictured below) also available on ebay I've not yet purchased the lock kit yet, but will be soon and I will post more on this for anyone who is interested$(KGrHqJ,!igE6Msh1O--BOqgg4elow~~60_3.JPG

I recently picked up a Schwinn straight bar fame on ebay for my next project. I have several ideas for this one but have not decided if I will make another Whizzer or not? I will be breaking down the phantom to get everything right before I hopefully do a final assembly so I'm going to mock up everything on the straight bar frame to see how it all fits. If I do another whizzer I won't have as many problems. Stay tuned.IMG_20140104_221550.jpg

Fenders

Well I was able to get the rear fender installed today without as much problem as I had thought. It was a really tight fit but I managed to get it all the way up to the brace with a little persuasion. Than I fashioned a temporary fender bracket ( not shown). I had to make it wide because the pre-drilled hole in the fender was way off center so I needed to make it wide as the holes offset. Here are a few pics.IMG_20140105_145133.jpgIMG_20140105_152349.jpgIMG_20140105_152421.jpg

Next I mounted the front fender to check out the fit. I had this fender powder coated earlier so now I just have to do my trim painting and pin-striping.IMG_20140106_002203.jpgIMG_20140106_003653.jpgIMG_20140106_003713.jpg

Back