Jackshaft new sponsor's jackshaft kit

hubs

Check this out:
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/internal-gear-hub-review/

It's worth noting people have had trouble with dust seals on certain hubs thus trashing integral race thus hub. His review is top drawer but the real world folk's comments add to it.

I think we're about to see a huge surge in motorized bicycle development. Current kit vendors are getting swamped and when the products become cleaner, more turnkey and reliable there will be an intersection with increasing mainstream interest. What has been the realm of the independent, creative fringe will be embraced by a growing volume of consumers and bigger interests that want their money.

LFL, pluses and minuses. On the plus side, if the bike shifts automaticaly, I would think it could be argued that it is legal as a motor assisted bike because the rider has no shift control for the assist drive. On the minus side - Would the hub be strong enough to handle the power from the motor?

I ride like an okay fit person without an engine so I wouldn't put too much on the hub. This is probably why my China engine has outlasted MOOP and is now on MOOP 2.

That would be a nice test though. That 3 speed hub is easier to acquire than the Nuvinci.

And I think as long as I ride slow I won't get bothered.

The gears intrigue me because a transmission makes an engine run less hard and it's great for hill climbing and good RPM at cruising speed.

I could actually do this with MOOP 2 but I'll need to get a drum brake up front and a 3 speed 26 inch rim out back with coaster removed and a rear caliper brake.

And even with a vintage 3 speed shifter I would imagine I can take the load off the hub by easing off the gas,pedal when shifting then lay on the gas again.

Brakes are the reason why I won't currently do this... and money too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
LF, On that train of thought you could get a LandRider system and a 7 speed freewheel on the back. The only thing I'd be worried about is wearing down the teeth on the freewheel since the LandRider system shifts by itself based on how fast the wheel is going. Not being able to know when to rev down the motor for a shift may kill all ordinary automatic bicycle shifting systems.
My mother has a LandRider comfort bike and its quite an interesting system to ride but its not quite for me. I hate chain skippage enough on a manual shifting mountain bike when I'm pushing the pedals with all my might off road that I doubt I'd be able to get used to an auto-shift freewheel system. If you ride it like its designed, easy relaxed riding, it works wonderfully but under stress I could see it freaking out.

yea i was lookin at one of those but it seemed a little sketchy for me too i wish i had the money right now for the jackshaft kit and a nu vinci kit that would be supreme

I've been doing nothing but thinking about this kit lately. At my bike shop where I bought a tire and a safety flag,I was checking out cruisers. They have this one with a three speed hub but no controls on the handlebars. So I'm scratching my head and there's this little box under the frame. The dude there tells me this is an auto shift three speed with coaster.
Wow. I'd like to hear some more on this. Can this kit be added to any bike? What's the name of it?

I'd love to see if a motor would work on it (prolly not), but even just pedaling that must be ridiculously fun.

I'll take some pics on wednesday. Tomorrow I have an all day class.

(edit) Oh Oh! Here's the bike I seen!

http://bandlbicycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=219

WOAH! Check this out!
LIME3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I'm Land Rider Jerry. Did any of you try doing anything with Land Rider bikes? I'm looking for others who've done what I've done.

Back