New Staton axle mounted kits

Strotter

Thanks a lot posting all the great info! I'm interested in the axle drive for my Rans recumbent because my current BMP friction drive doesn't work when it's wet.

My issue is that the bike has 20" wheels and Staton doesn't make a belt or chain drive kit for that size wheel. I'm hoping the axle drive will work.

Your reports were VERY helpful!

Thanks again!

Actually, Staton's standard chain-drive kit DOES fit 20" wheels. I had one on my Dahon 20" folder bike.:geek:

Hi, 5-7

Thanks for that info. I wrote to Staton about this last year and they said they don't make a gear drive or belt drive kit for 20" wheels. Maybe I misunderstood something. I'll try again.

Did you have them build the wheel or did you lace up your own and, if you don't mind sharing, were there any special issues with installing the kit on the 20" wheel?

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Hi, again, 5-7
I checked my old emails and found that I had written to Golden Eagle about THEIR kits and they don't support 20" wheels.

As you said, Staton works with 20" wheels. So, my apologies to Staton and to anyone who read my earlier, post with the incorrect info.

Thanks!

No problem, BentTooner,

FWIW, the GEBE kit would PROBABLY work if you could make new spoke holes to center the GEBE drive ring onto the 20" wheel. Then of course the mount would have to be shortened 3". The standard GEBE belt would be too long; you'd have to find a shorter HTD belt.

Yeah, it's safe to say that the GEBE kit wouldn't fit easily on 20" wheels.:geek:

It was an easy install of the Staton friction AND chain-drive kits. The front U-bracket easily clears the rear brake arms. Staton laced their axles onto their 20" HD wheel for me, and everything bolted into place.

Be advised that when I installed a 2.2hp Mitsubishi and Staton chain drive, the bike was too squirrelly and hazardous for my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you've ridden it for several months, have you had cause to add any more postives or negatives, or to revise your opinion in any way about Statons new kit?

A friction drive is $189, so is it worth the $190 more??

Here are the positives.
1. No slip, meaning don't have to worry about roller tension or going through puddles.
2. There is virtually no drag when you are coasting or just want to pedal with the engine
off.
3. The engine seems quieter because it is down and behind me.

Negatives:
1. Price....ouch
2. Installing and changing flat is a pain! (compared to a friction drive)

Effective power? Compared to a properly adjusted friction drive, no it is not more effective.

There is no extra risk of damage or twisting off. It is mounted solid!

As I have posted before, I wanted a setup for my teenage boys. My fear with a friction drive is that they wouldn't pay attention to the roller tension and rip up the rear tire. Also, that they wouldn't avoid puddles and again rip up the rear tire. I wanted a system that was basically maintence and adjustment free. I have achieved that goal with this system. So, to answer the first question, Yes, it is worth the extra $190 to me.

Sorry, for the late response.

No negatives. Gear box is much quieter after 500+ miles. I would totally recommend it!
Worth the extra $$

I ordered the bigger gear (to go faster) but the gear box is really worn in now and it goes fast enough for me. Haven't even put it on...:) (remember, this is for my teenage boys to use)

Mifletz & Others

I Just Read The 107 Post`s On The Axle Mt. Because This Is Not A Thread Started By "staton" It Should Be Ok For Me To Post ??? !!! I Have Bought Parts From Staton, He Has A Lot Of Good Stuff.

I Have Converted A Electric "cartridge Motor" Style Bike To Gas Axle Mount.

It Was Very Easy To Do. The Electric Bike Has A Much Better/stronger Rear Wheel Than A Normal Bicycle. Has A 20 Tooth Left Hand Freewheel Sprocket On The Left Side.

Bought 8mm Chain & Sprockets As I Used That In My Cvt Rh Freewheel Builds And Have Extra Stuff. The Sprockets Are $10. Ea And Several Combinations Available. They Have 4 Bolts Holes And Will Bolt On To A 16 Tooth Lh Freewheel Sprocket, Center Hole Has To Be Opened Up A Few Thousands.

But Ended Up Using China Girl Type 44 Tooth Wheel Sprocket And Bmx/415 Chain. Also Using The Nice Little 5:1 Reverse Rotation Pocket Bike Gear Box.
Have Been Using One Of The 5:1 Tranny`s In My "diy" Scooter Guy Type Shifter Bike For A Yr.

I Had Bought 2 Of The "bicycle-engine.com" Lr & Rh Threaded Axle/hub Kits. Those 44 Tooth Sprocket`s Fit Over The Larger 20 Tooth Freewheel Hub And Bolted Up Nice With 5 1/4" Fastners (bolts ! Lol). Approx 18.4:1 Final Ratio. 12 Tooth on the tranny.

Just Unbolted The Electric Motor, Used Center Finder Punches To Transfer Tranny Bolt Pattern To Mount Plate And Drill 5 Small Holes. And Bolt It Together! The Tranny Uses Heavy Gear Oil/outboard Lower Unit Oil.

Bought The Electric Bike For $50. It Would Not Take A Charge. After I Started To Convert It, When Taking The Very Heavy Batteries Out, The 40 Amp Fuse Was Blown. By Then I Was Past The Point Of Return!! Lol

Have Been Slowly Converting It, No Rush, Too Darn Hot Outside!! Need The Pedal Chain Put Back On And A Kill Switch.

The Newer Mount Plate = $9.67 But No One Has It. Easy To Make. And I Think A China Girl Rag Joint Could Be Used To Cut Cost.

Ron

Attachments

• 100_1406.JPG
    100_1406.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_1408.JPG
    100_1408.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_1449.JPG
    100_1449.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_1453.JPG
    100_1453.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_1451.JPG
    100_1451.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_1419.jpg
    100_1419.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_1416.jpg
    100_1416.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 335
  • MOTOR MOUNT E ZIP 9.67 USD.JPG
    MOTOR MOUNT E ZIP 9.67 USD.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_1444.jpg
    100_1444.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_1450.jpg
    100_1450.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_1405.jpg
    100_1405.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Greetings people!
I have bought only "5 to 1 Axle Mounted Gear Box" for independent assembly and here that I have seen in Gear Box (look at photo): have seen that has no shaft for the second bearing - he is truncated.
How you think it is normal?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back