New Staton axle mounted kits

The Morini FM128 is very similar.but direct drive and only 1.1 hp. It's on the Morini Kickbutt Engines site. But I like the lower center of gravity and the lighter gear box of this new Staton creation. The only drawback is it being offset so much, but at speed I'm sure it's not a problem. I have 23k on the inside chain drive, so I think this new one would be bulletproof as well, and much easier to install. Agood choice for a Newbie.

Go for it !!!

No Guts No Glory !!!!!
Besides I bet you could convert it the a rack mount if it sucks..
Looks like the same gearbox to me...

No Guts No Glory !!!!!
Besides I bet you could convert it the a rack mount if it sucks..
Looks like the same gearbox to me...

It is not the same gearbox. The intermediate gear is missing because the engine is on the left side. Drive setup spins clockwise and sprockets turn CCW.

Is there a freewheel or does the clutch provide disengagement?

Strotter, how much was the kit, and which engine did you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the subaru 33. Total with shipping was $522.
I was going to go with another friction drive, but staton conviced me to try this setup.

My biggest concern was freewheel/pedaling without the motor being on. According to a email response from Staton, the resistence is "absolutly zero".

I will keep you posted on the progress. (havn't recieved yet) If it comes today, I will install this weekend.....

I got the subaru 33. Total with shipping was $522.
I was going to go with another friction drive, but staton conviced me to try this setup.

My biggest concern was freewheel/pedaling without the motor being on. According to a email response from Staton, the resistence is "absolutly zero".

I will keep you posted on the progress. (havn't recieved yet) If it comes today, I will install this weekend.....

If it's setup the same was as his usual rack mounts with the freewheel....he's telling the truth....the only resistance would be from the tiny bit the freewheel uses to move....in essence, NOTHING.

Warner

cool

i really think this is a great setup,ive tried a motorwheel and this would feel similar.i like the new gear box looks wicked!:cool:

I like this idea....hate the look. I have a Staton chain and friction drive. I like the fact I can easily cover the motor on my friction and ride the Metro train. I have an extra RS engine that I'd love to marry to a bike. This might be an option for me. Did you also purchase the special hub/wheel and freewheel sprocket? This setup is also likely to be quieter because of the lower motor mount. Keep us updated.
-mike

Back