New subaru questions

So other than rejetting to a smaller size all I can figure is a sticking or not fully seating inlet needle. Fuel in oil makes me think this is strong possibility. Never worked on diaphragm carb and hate to take things apart just guessing. Anybody have experience with these?

Hi psmcd

You're at altitude, correct? You think running rich is washing gas into the crankcase then? Seems like that service tech guy might be a good source before you pull anything apart. I remember when I ran motocross in CO I had to rejet at altitude.

I'm getting a hint of fuel in the oil here at sea level. Just down the road from me is a mom n' pop small engine repair run by a nice older dude who is also an authorized R/S service center, swung by yesterday, his comment to my question about breakin oil was, "this time of year that engine wants straight 30 weight".

Last edited:
Old timers and their 30 weight. Next thing you know he will have you running tranny fluid as an additive. The book says 10w 30. Id go by the book in this case. Ive ran into more than one old timer that didnt believe in multiviscosity oil.
Sadly I cant open pdfs. Locks my computer up every time.

Hey BigDaddy, maybe downloading newest version of Adobe Reader will cure your lock-up. It's up to version 8 something now.

If Happy Valley is getting fuel in oil it makes me think it's the inlet needle and seat. Jetting is a separate issue. I'll try talking/email to rep. first but I'm half tempted to run a little Marvel Mystery Oil through it cause if it works I can rib BigDaddy with some old timer snake oil.

Rejetting for sea level races made the 250 feel like open class.

Actually, the manual offers the option of both single and multigrade engine oils.....ambient temps between 50F and 90F stipulates 30 weight....goes on to add:

"If multigrade oil oil is employed, oil consumption tends to increase when ambient temperature is high."

IMO, I won't dismiss the experience of a knowledgeable small engine old timer, they know what they're talking about by getting their hands dirty everyday opening up engines.

BTW, no tranny fluid recommended.:LOL:

Last edited:
HaHa happy, it was tongue in cheek. I didnt actually see it in the manual so that is good to know. I love old timers advice but some of em just hate multi viscosity oils so I take any advice on oil with a grain of salt. Its about 50 degrees here in the morning so the 10w 30 is probably better on startups so Ill stick with it. I dont think we broke 80 degrees this year.

Ive suspected marvel mystery oil is tranny fluid without the friction modifiers. They sure get a lot for it if it is.

I got my first flat, Im so excited. I dont have a friggin master link so I had to break the chain. I learned to break it from the inside cause the wheel is in the way when I try to put it back together and Im using the wrong breaker compounding the difficulty. I have washer spacers on the axel that are a real pain to get in place because I have to spread the frame by pushing on the axel with my thumb and pulling the frame with my fingers.

Still having some runability issues but only when fully warmed up. So far they are minor but they are persistent. Its funny the place it stumbles on when Im headed south it stumbles the exact same place headed north. Im working on an electrical magnetism alien abduction conspiracy theory. It will stall now when fully warmed up. Not often but it lends to improper carb settings. I just dont think it is set up to run in 50 degree weather at sea level. Now that I think of it im gonna go pull the plug again.

I tried to update the adobe and it locks up. Im fairly certain I have a virus or my raid 0 is about to **** out on me.

Back