New Throttle Idea.

Matt Barrack

Local time
3:36 AM
My throttle sucks. I cant seem to get it right. Sometimes it's firm and sometimes it's not. Today my friend was taking it for a spin and it went limp and couldn't stop!

I'm wondering if this would work;
Instead of keeping the twist throttle, what if I put the throttle cable on a brake lever and used that? Would it work? It seems like it, since all it would do is pull the cable.

ALSO - I would keep the killswitch on, just no throttle handle.

Last edited:
Hmmm I would investigate the grip cause it shouldn't change like that. Are you using a kit grip or did you buy the grip separate?

I'm not doing the kit route for mine as I bought a GT2A frame with a built in fuel tank so I don't need the extra junk that comes with the kit. But I found some nice grips from bike-berry I think that has chrome caps on the end of the grips. They look to be pretty good quality.

kit grip and it keeps slipping and then i have to take it apart and fix it. And when it slips i cant stop the motor. I assume a lever would work because it's doing the same job as the twist grip.

they have levers you can use like thumb levers. But I would be curious if one could repurpose the guts of a motorcycle grip to work instead they might be built better than these bicycle versions.

plenty of people have done that, but most haven't needed to. if your cables are zip tied to the frame, make sure it's not so tight that it's pinching the cables.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That's how I set mine up after the stock setup broke on install because of cheapo chinesium plastic I have a twist throttle on the way from SBP I've heard they are much higher quailty

My throttle sucks. I cant seem to get it right. Sometimes it's firm and sometimes it's not. Today my friend was taking it for a spin and it went limp and couldn't stop!

I'm wondering if this would work;
Instead of keeping the twist throttle, what if I put the throttle cable on a brake lever and used that? Would it work? It seems like it, since all it would do is pull the cable.

ALSO - I would keep the killswitch on, just no throttle handle.
I think you need to open up your throttle take a look it may be bent not aline right I bought a new throttle it was slow responsive then jam at top of the hill full throttle 100,000 rpms nearly blew it had to open it up look at take a box cutter and shave the plastic so there was no drag on it plenty of clearence.

Back