new to bike building

no_fear04901

Local time
10:25 PM
hey all, the names dan.. i just bought a motor to put on my shcwinn occ stingray chopper. this is my first build and i am not mechanicaly incliend at all so this will be a fun test on my brain. my motor is a ZB-80S-BK, i know that someone on ebay sells the motor mount but i want to build my own since i have the welder and materials, the only problem is i dont know how to get the chain lined up does anyone have the specs on the offset i need for the mount so the chain clears the wide tire??

a)measure from centerline of engine (rear mount) to chain drive sprocket on engine,
b)measure from centerline of frame to desired/needed chainline
c)subtract a from b
d)grind, weld, fabricate, to offset motor mount by value in c

a striaghtedge (meter stick) attached to the sprocket on rear wheel will help to make the measurements

good luck

Last edited:
if you can use a square and level you can weld or build anything level or line up chains,heck with a level and peice of string you can do your own front end alignment on your car.

Here's a thought, measure from drive sprocket to center of rear engine mount.
Bend stiff wire, or thin strapping, to measurement, bend a sharp 90 degree bend, and you have a mock up which can help clue you in. Minor alignment can be done by using washers on rear wheel. I've seen pre-fab OCC chopper kits, may end up best value, being a welder, you can improve them, without re-inventing the wheel . Sounds like a wild ride !

Back