new to gas/bikes researching

blunt

Local time
4:43 AM
I have decided to purchase a gas bike for local travle 20 mi radius. I hope to find info on engines to and kits to buy and avoind on this forum plus handy tips. will also be purchasing or building a trailor for bike with 120 lb payload capacity for hauling water and food

Welcome to MBc, Blunt. You have come to the right place. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies' at the top of every Forum. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky by Al.Fisherman has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky "Forum Rules and Infractions” by Anton is a 'must read' about how you are expected to Conduct yourself. However, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. Almost every question you might have has already been asked and answered someplace here. If you are still stumped with a certain problem, post your question in the proper Forum and I am sure you will get an answer. Good Luck to you.

Patrick

just my own humble opinion, kits are not the only way to go with a bicycle. there are a lot of ways to motorize a bike without building from a kit, and some of those options give much better performance than a kit supplied engine. the kit engines simply are not designed for a wide range of performance. there are some options available to increase the performance range of a kit supplied engine, some are very expensive, and some are not. but for the same amount of money you could likely spend hopping up a kit, you could build a bike with a better performing engine. you can buy a kit without a motor and find a way to adapt most of the parts to a non-kit engine. one engine that is slowly but steadily becoming more popular is the predator engine, available at harbor freight stores. I am not recommending that you choose to install a predator engine, or even any non-kit engine. a lot of people are happy with the performance of the kit supplied engines or are willing to spend the money to buy performance enhancing parts. I am simply suggesting that you explore all your options and ask around and let others know what you are looking for, such as what top speed you want, what sort of hill climbing or pulling ability you need, what sort of reliability you would be comfortable with, and so forth. you will likely get some different recommendations, but I can tell you right off the bat that a 4 stroke engine will be more reliable than a 2 stroke, but the 2 stroke engines and kits are less expensive. there are a lot of options out there, and I hope you find the option that best suits your wants and needs.

Here are important questions to consider when building or buying for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build or buy?

Seek the answers to these questionsi n order to get the most out of the bike you're building or buying. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build or buy.

If you're planning on riding in other states you'll need to know their laws. What's legal in one state may be illegal in another. However you may be able to meet the requirements of being registered and insured as a moped. As a registered and insured vehicle other states tend not to bother you.

Back