New to Motorized Bicycles

if people bust your balls they are just trying to help you . build what you want, that's why we all build these things, to fabricate an adult toy to our liking with our own hands. enjoy your build.

I'm honestly grateful to anything anyone says, I just personally know I want to set this bike up for success.
I read somewhere in the Virginia Dmv site that motorized bikes are okay If they are electric and only exceed 30ish mph, I forget if it was 30-35. The cops I spoke to said just try to get it registered.

If it works out I will document how I went about it, And maybe it'll help someone else here.

I have a lot of work to do, I mainly want to add a light kit, Headlight, Turn signals, Brake light. I would like to find a brake light that I can just flip a switch for now. Eventually I'll add fancy modified hand brakes that will toggle the brake light instead of some switch, The switch is better than hand signals, and will get the process going. I know there are a lot of cheap scooter parts if you do it right so some turn signals could be used from a scooter.

Definitely want to get the speedo installed. Just mainly want to get that kit on. I'm currently looking into making a rechargeable small battery setup. I though about using a generator setup, But I don't think I will get the power I want, and if anything a generator setup would be okay if I sent the power over to charge the battery instead out of everything.

Small micro switch and a barb on the brake cable to activate it, just a thought, been done before...........Curt

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Check with a local trophy shop that does engraving, I think you can get a better deal at a better price for the VIN plate.
Yeah I think a trophy shop may question that type of thing but maybe not, they won't have something nearly as dedicated looking though, I actually think the price is fair for the plate and engraved/etched. It looks like what one would find on a vehicle, trophy shops are just unlikely to carry a plate in that format so it would probable need to be a plain plate with all detail engraved, which I think would look tacky.

Yeah I think a trophy shop may question that type of thing but maybe not, they won't have something nearly as dedicated looking though, I actually think the price is fair for the plate and engraved/etched. It looks like what one would find on a vehicle, trophy shops are just unlikely to carry a plate in that format so it would probable need to be a plain plate with all detail engraved, which I think would look tacky.

Just use a dremel and scrawl a random VIN number and credentials on it. I am sure there will be no problems at inspection. ;)

Just use a dremel and scrawl a random VIN number and credentials on it. I am sure there will be no problems at inspection. ;)
My hands aren't that sturdy to not look like a possibly drunk ape may have tried to draw a picture of a cat while doing that, not because they can't hold still but they seem to do random things when I write, so my handwriting looks like the previously described.

When I sign my name at a register I can't tell the difference between what people say looks like spaghetti and what my regular pen on paper stuff looks like. Good thing engineers like to use compasses and straight rules, otherwise the patent office applications would look like something that should have been featured on Sesame St..

When we built a trailer the DMV wanted a VIN number, the guy said weld the numbers in like you were writing them on the trailer, or get a metal plate engraved and weld it to the frame. We chose the metal plate, I believe it cost us $6 plus tax, but this was several years ago. When the trailer was inspected by Department of Public Safety, it was approved as done. For a bike I would have engraved on a steel plate, then form the plate around the seat post and tack weld it in place. So that it looks like the branding on the head tube the bicycle companies do on the bikes.

When we built a trailer the DMV wanted a VIN number, the guy said weld the numbers in like you were writing them on the trailer, or get a metal plate engraved and weld it to the frame. We chose the metal plate, I believe it cost us $6 plus tax, but this was several years ago. When the trailer was inspected by Department of Public Safety, it was approved as done. For a bike I would have engraved on a steel plate, then form the plate around the seat post and tack weld it in place. So that it looks like the branding on the head tube the bicycle companies do on the bikes.
Then in that case it may not be wise to order an aluminum plate for a steel bike, I'd of probably rounded it to something (or just mounted it on an engine case) and used the rivet holes, just don't aim for a down tube or something major structural with rivet holes, at least on a bike, tubes are rather frail compared to real moped materials.

Back