New to motorized bikes, 13 years old, CDI's always burning out?

JoelMiller

Local time
11:35 AM
Hello, I am new to building motorized bikes, and I am 13 years old. I’ve built the bike by myself and it worked wonders, propelling me at 30mph.

My CDI boxes I buy almost always turn out junk right out of the box and if not they burn out within a few minutes. I made sure I bought the supercharged CDI since on here it seemed to work pretty good. I ran diagnostics with my Ohm meter to make sure it worked but only a piece of the CDI assembly works. Any suggestions fellas?

Last edited by a moderator:
My CDI boxes I buy almost always turn out junk right out of the box and if not they burn out within a few minutes. I made sure I bought the supercharged CDI since on here it seemed to work pretty good. I ran diagnostics with my Ohm metere to make sure it worked but only a piece of the CDI assembly works. Any suggestions fellas?
Hang in there for an answer to your CDI problems...im not sure whats happening there myself, but people with more experience with this issue will eventually see your post and will be able to help you out...DAMIEN

Here's but one of many videos explaining how a CDI works.

If running a diagnostic you can determine which component(s) isn't functioning properly you can replace the component(s).

My CDI boxes I buy almost always turn out junk right out of the box and if not they burn out within a few minutes. I made sure I bought the supercharged CDI since on here it seemed to work pretty good. I ran diagnostics with my Ohm metere to make sure it worked but only a piece of the CDI assembly works. Any suggestions fellas?
Post a picture of your wiring, please.

Bad ground or the kill switch is shorting it out, with the super charged cdi or any really it's best to omit the kill switch for an inline switch the just cuts the circuit rather than ground it out and short the system.

Bad ground or the kill switch is shorting it out, with the super charged cdi or any really it's best to omit the kill switch for an inline switch the just cuts the circuit rather than ground it out and short the system.
Err that's the kill switches job - shuts the whole lot down by shorting it out

Back