New to Motorized Bikes, maybe going to build my own! (Some Questions)

Steephyn

Local time
5:27 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here, I am currently in the research stage of building my own motorized bike.
So a little bit of background as to why I want one, I am 22 years old, about to start attending a college program at a local school about 6 miles away. I live with my parents for now and they have 2 cars, but transportation can be an issue as my siblings all have jobs and are going to start going to school soon. The local bus could work but I would rather go myself, I would walk but it would take at least 2 hours, which would mean 4 hours total walking and waking up at 5 am. I don't currently have a job though after this semester I should be able to get a local job because it is a manufacturing training course, which would be another reason to have my own transportation.

I do have some savings so I could put up to $300 total into this project. I am already set on getting a cheap bike because I wouldn't mind turning that 2 hour walk into a 30-45 minute bike ride. The motor would be an added bonus to save some effort and maybe some time, and it would save me from falling into the endless moneypit that is a car. I would still have to register it and pay a road tax, one time I think and it would only be $20 total.

We have plenty of tools and I am somewhat mechanically minded, also have the ability to manufacture my own mounting brackets if needed, we also have a hardware store down the street.

So some questions/ thoughts if anyone would be willing to chime in I'd really appreciate i:

-I am thinking about getting the $120 motor kit from Walmart, just for convenience, is this a terrible idea? Also would get the bike from Walmart today. (I'd have to wait a few days to get the motor shipped)
-I am hoping to still be able to pedal and put the bike up in a standard bike rack during class, (in case the motor fails to work during my commute) is this reasonable?
-What sort of speed could I expect on fairly flat roads with 80cc motor? 15 mph average would be plenty for me but faster would be better.
-I would pedal out of the neighborhood before starting the motor while getting on the main road.
-How hard is it to maintain / build? I'd be able to dedicate a couple of days a week until I got it working.
-Is it ok to use a motorized bike in the rain? I could use it with the motor not running if that would help.
-Would normal brakes be ok to use with a motorized bike?

I am doing my first build too.. I bought a used Huffy Cranbrook for $25. Am in the process of truing and balancing the wheels, and replacing all cage bearings with loose balls. Replace all grease with good grease, including rear hub brake assy. Removing both fenders for safety, luckily I live in the desert. I bought a 66cc kit with spring chain tensioner for $114. Have been told to replace cover gaskets with better material. Also bought a front caliper brake. Even a brand new bike needs to be dialed in perfectly. These bikes were not designed to go fast, or handle the vibrations of a cheap 2-stroke engine. In my area the engine size is limited to 48cc (how would they know) and UNDER 20mph. No license or tax. When you set your engine in, make sure the fuel bowl is level with the bike upright. Don't throw a lot of money at your first build - it is a learning curve. Look on Youtube for hints and tips, like largefilipino clutch cable mod, You can always sell it for a profit. More experienced users will hopefully chime in. Most of all be safe and have fun.

Hello everyone, I am new here, I am currently in the research stage of building my own motorized bike.
So a little bit of background as to why I want one, I am 22 years old, about to start attending a college program at a local school about 6 miles away. I live with my parents for now and they have 2 cars, but transportation can be an issue as my siblings all have jobs and are going to start going to school soon. The local bus could work but I would rather go myself, I would walk but it would take at least 2 hours, which would mean 4 hours total walking and waking up at 5 am. I don't currently have a job though after this semester I should be able to get a local job because it is a manufacturing training course, which would be another reason to have my own transportation.

I do have some savings so I could put up to $300 total into this project. I am already set on getting a cheap bike because I wouldn't mind turning that 2 hour walk into a 30-45 minute bike ride. The motor would be an added bonus to save some effort and maybe some time, and it would save me from falling into the endless moneypit that is a car. I would still have to register it and pay a road tax, one time I think and it would only be $20 total.

We have plenty of tools and I am somewhat mechanically minded, also have the ability to manufacture my own mounting brackets if needed, we also have a hardware store down the street.

So some questions/ thoughts if anyone would be willing to chime in I'd really appreciate i:

-I am thinking about getting the $120 motor kit from Walmart, just for convenience, is this a terrible idea? Also would get the bike from Walmart today. (I'd have to wait a few days to get the motor shipped)
-I am hoping to still be able to pedal and put the bike up in a standard bike rack during class, (in case the motor fails to work during my commute) is this reasonable?
-What sort of speed could I expect on fairly flat roads with 80cc motor? 15 mph average would be plenty for me but faster would be better.
-I would pedal out of the neighborhood before starting the motor while getting on the main road.
-How hard is it to maintain / build? I'd be able to dedicate a couple of days a week until I got it working.
-Is it ok to use a motorized bike in the rain? I could use it with the motor not running if that would help.
U definitely want to have good brakes I have been running coaster brakes and i broke the rear hub which did not allow me to stop but I was going slow to drag my feet to stop but a motor kit will run u about 150 for something decent u can upgrade parts over time and u probably will cause this hobby is addicting af but it's fun to build with your own to hands I enjoy mine I'm currently researching some mags and I want disc brakes but my bike do not have mounts for the calipers so I need to modify something

My first build was a $118 Walmart bike and a $111 Amazon 66/80cc two stroke kit. It worked great, once I got it figured out. I rode it back and forth to work 7.x miles each way and racked up over 1,000 miles on it before the bike's back wheel failed. Oddly, it failed by the wind tipping it off the kickstand.... bent my rear rim to hell. I cruised around 20 mph easily and safely. My commute on the bicycle was about 25 minutes through town whereas in the car it was 20. Watch youtube videos and also read stickies here about the carburetor and clutch (how they work and troubleshooting).

Welcome!

Wow, thanks for all of the replies!
I got a bike, my sister knew I was looking for one and she saw a used bike salesperson / side hustle so she got one for me for $60. It is a little on the small side but I am able to ride it fine with the seat up. The frame is steel so it should work pretty good as long as the engine fits. At the very least I have some transportation now. I am stressing a little about starting college next week, I also applied for work, so hopefully I can get an income (at the expense of almost any free time. My dad is pressuring me to either pay rent, leave, or basically take on house projects as a part time job. I still want to put an engine on it, just for the sake of having my own transportation if nothing else.

lwnQFswayGLHn7eP34wMvT7rp1JluKw5DsPQHD3kzLjLtiZWzQKM8VFnHQ90Dma0LhQ0wqKTbp6keDBnEJbhiLfD9Kb4beFGOq0BMZbd2IuHTLJKqakN-HN7UHXreprsaA0_5odro1OGnn52KaZCmgworsH0tDuufE673BdcxtK7Qtpnd2hs85M3f-p3cDteijJ8R8XCyoPW8jhQz1MGeM22P39n0ySgfHRdEXugw4_mnyWXTf-iObIwzt8gwWNkeVoWyIEvQbsOTZaxncAxC9rc8h8deW_oxjImeFIcQ5t-nzRlGlPiaTEeh6doRSyFzkOx9ZML1VXl5vxVynVvev5w3ByZ8bDnU6Mbhov9S9e3fPhs575YZVzhurKgOYU6HQtYdudS_8yHEb68g8FFDcp7Ye5fUtJUG0Jdduwl1sfWfPoO3gQ75N9UpoQh0BQ4X1SsKToOsKpr9tD9yd0YKW_Rlr-WbMfAo2BrmkgWd3yJ7tcrRawTt3v8IeEEp17d2dmwsWc9W5Gc9-J3-eGD1pPOaT6UF8uOSkOXPV27tJgMm2FFQ4Z-2n_FBOJl5dq75td-r-oPoDLfeJx17xnELBpSJgmY1ipMhswLlmBbDfiCslAniJBKP1f1poriA2uSuh_HELARZUJ4z-E6HJaPIoDgATQIJwyXx555iomDxvjj-sL9FbgdxWMG7GmNKsL3RTgbk6gaZ4LbBx1bHFc_7_ZB=w1511-h1007-no

I am doing my first build too.. I bought a used Huffy Cranbrook for $25. Am in the process of truing and balancing the wheels, and replacing all cage bearings with loose balls. Replace all grease with good grease, including rear hub brake assy. Removing both fenders for safety, luckily I live in the desert. I bought a 66cc kit with spring chain tensioner for $114. Have been told to replace cover gaskets with better material. Also bought a front caliper brake. Even a brand new bike needs to be dialed in perfectly. These bikes were not designed to go fast, or handle the vibrations of a cheap 2-stroke engine. In my area the engine size is limited to 48cc (how would they know) and UNDER 20mph. No license or tax. When you set your engine in, make sure the fuel bowl is level with the bike upright. Don't throw a lot of money at your first build - it is a learning curve. Look on Youtube for hints and tips, like largefilipino clutch cable mod, You can always sell it for a profit. More experienced users will hopefully chime in. Most of all be safe and have fun.
are you in arizona by any chance?

my first kit was a 82$ motor on a 20$ bike.

it lasted me all year until i sold it to my buddy (well traded for a engine)

if you want reliability, id go for a higher-end kit (my engine had no problems internally, but ive had to replace nearly everything else in that kit)

you can still pedal the bike normally with the clutch in, and bike racks are no problem.

to build, about a day, to make reliable, around a week for everything thats going to loosen to loosen.

you will hit around 30mph, after the engine brakes in.

i used my bike year around (rain, shine, snow, ice) tires are the most important part, DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON TIRES

get a duel brake lever, so you get more braking power, v brakes are more than enough.

good luck!

(also, i recommend this kit for your first one here )

Have you considered electric? Entry level 18mph cruise, 22mph top speed 36V 500W gearless hub motor could work for you. I am making a budget entry level ebike for my buddy with my 36V 500W gearless hub motor that I don't need and with new batteries (~15 mi range) its gonna cost $160 tops of course I'm giving away the motor since its just taking up space but with the motor its like $300-310 for the build.

These gearless hub motors even generic from eBay are extremely reliable. I have over 4000 miles on this thing with not one single issue. The only issue I had was a loose battery connection like once. The motor wheel is built with strong spokes and hub so the wheel wont eventually destroy itself like with gas motors.

I am finishing it up now. Let me know if you want more info. Its a 36V 500W ebike with a 36V 16aH scooter batteries (~500wH) so basically like 15 miles at 20mph and more if you pedal with it. And, also super stealth.

New video on it coming soon. Change the battery box setup and mounting

Last edited:
if u def want to do gas go with a brand name motor like that zeda link. dont get a walmart engine or ebay cheap 2-stroke engine

Back