New to the forum, have a few questions about a first project

Mully415

Local time
3:51 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forums, and to the the whole motorized bike hobby in general; I had several questions about what I hope'll be my first (of many :D) builds.
I have the ability to purchase a Kulana Moon Dog cruiser, in green, with a frame slightly different than what appears to be the more standard orange color.
The general consensus seems to be that Moon Dogs make for excellent first projects, is this mostly-true? How easy is it to install an engine on these things? I've heard that on the orange ones you need to punch a few holes into the frame to mount the motor, is this also the case for the green version?

Regarding the kits, where do people generally tend to get 'em?
I found what appears to be the standard-setup on Amazon, is this kit any good?

Any help is appreciated, thanks a million in advance everyone!

V 35

Local time
6:51 PM
I suggest reading more posts, and ads. Many kits are similar service * after * the sale is important . ** Do Not Drill ** bike frames are brittle steel, and crack prone. Brazing [ steel frame ] is best. Some metals become very crack prone after electric welding.

jaguar

Local time
6:51 PM
I suggest you buy from a distributor with many other associated parts just to be supportive of those who are most invested in this hobby.

wheelbender6

Local time
5:51 PM
We all have our favorite bicycles, engine kits and sources. Different members will give very different answers. That's why V 35 correctly told you to do more reading on this site. After an hour of reading you will have a good idea of what will work for you.
The only bike I wouldn't recommend is the Del Lusso and others like it that have a cargo rack welded onto the rear seat stay