New to this Game, Lots of Questions

A

ahsprite

Hi All,

The last gas spike got me thinking about this, and like anything else there's a forum for it.

I have a million questions, but I think I'll do some searching first to avoid redundancy.

I'll start posting questions that I can't find answers to shortly.

Thanks in Advance.

Welcome to the forum....you've come to the right place for answers and community.

Enjoy!

ok,

Now i feel like an idiot.

I can't find a search feature to search previous posts.

Maybe it's hiding in plain sight.

Here's my situation/questions:

I've been thinking about motorizing a mountain bike or 2. If I do this my wife will want one.

I'd like a 4 stroke to minimize noise, smoke, etc.

I don't know how well a friction drive would work for me, we have lots of sand-gravel roads.

I may look at a chain or toothed belt drive.

It seems the easiest way is to mount a chainsaw to the rear rack and use the existing clutch (I have an old 75cc echo in my garage). Not very elegant. Really loud. Can't start it with inertia.

I've been looking around at 4-stroke weed-eater type motors. Will the 40cc briggs handle a cantilevered pulley or sprocket (or friction wheel) or do I have to fab an outboard shaft bearing? Is there some reason to avoid this engine?

Also, Is there some simple, cheap manual mechanical clutch available that can fit on an output shaft?

As far as a motor mount, I've been planning on converting a blackburn 4-point aluminum rack. I've got a couple around from years ago, and if it will hold 4 cases of beer (don't ask) it shouldn't have any trouble with the weight and loads from a small engine.

I've also been thinking about fabricating a really long flow path (quiet without too much restriction) muffler, but that will come later.

Thanks again all.

ahsprite said:
If I do this my wife will want one.
well, of course she will! that's the plan....

hi, ahsprite...a nice intro with good advice for other new members :)

when you search, i recommend using 2 basic keywords (gas leak, exhaust gasket, rear sprocket) and
the "search for all terms" option...you'll get a narrower and more relevant result. play around a bit, it
works pretty good.

it looks like you're a fabricater...prolly find most of what you're looking for in "wild in the streets" or "general discussion" and i bet there's some inspiration in "rack 'em up" too. jump in on anything (anywhere) that sparks an interest, or start a new topic if you got something you wanna share.

have fun, & welcome to the MBc 8)

ahsprite said:
I'd like a 4 stroke to minimize noise, smoke, etc.
No smoke from these two strokes when using good oil at 36 or 40 to 1!

I've been looking around at 4-stroke weed-eater type motors. Will the 40cc briggs handle a cantilevered pulley or sprocket (or friction wheel) or do I have to fab an outboard shaft bearing? Is there some reason to avoid this engine?
Cost!

Also, Is there some simple, cheap manual mechanical clutch available that can fit on an output shaft?
No!

welcome ahsprite,you will find a wealth of knowladge here,please forgive I spell cant,but you'll find all the help you will need from one offs to bolt on's but remember the bikes made here are like lay's potato chips just one ride and you cant stop :)

Back