New trailer pusher project started

Interesting design. I don't think I have any problems with wheel hop with my design, but I really doubt you will with your setup.

I never take off from a stop using the engine... I always pedal to 8-10 mph. I am guessing mine might hop if I tried that.

Your design is top heavy, I wonder how that will handle around fast turns.

Your design is top heavy, I wonder how that will handle around fast turns.

Mine is top heavy too. I had to have a tightened trailer hitch, and two wheels to keep mine from tipping over and throwing me off the bicycle. I'm curious as to how that will work with one wheel.

Interesting point about being top heavy. I hadn't really considered that. A couple of things I suppose I could do to mitigate that: 1. play with the hitch setup, perhaps move it higher on the frame, or add an arm for stability. 2. extend frame and move engine down and behind the wheel, could then use the top part of the frame where engine was for a basket to hold groceries or lost hubcaps I find...

Will have to test it on the road and see what it actually feels like. I will be working on it again this weekend, hope to have it attached to the bike. Unfortunately, we still have like 40" of snow on the ground here with lake effect dumping on use for the next few days...I hate winter...

Updates

I worked a bit more on the pusher project this weekend, and got the engine
installed.

Engineinstalled.jpg

I also worked a bit on the bicycle frame as well. I used some 1/16 angle stock to make the frame around the rear tire. This simply bolts to the frame using the axle nuts that hold the wheel on.

Frame1.jpg

To increase stability and keep the frame parallel to the ground, I decided to add some braces. Using some ½” EMT conduit, I bent a 90 deg. On one end and mitered the other end to match the frame angle.

conduit.jpg

Using a 1 1/8” U-clamp, I fashioned a bracket which connects to the U-bolt and is welded to the EMT. This adds considerably to the stability of the frame while not looking too ugly or “tacked on”.

frame3.jpg

I have a feeling your going to have a tuff time with the trailer setup. With the weight of the engine so high, you will definitly feel it pulling against you in the turns and it will put Alot of stress on the link. I could be wrong, but in theory, it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Plus, the engine is going to have a longer distance to fall and more likely to get damaged if it tips over. Better to stay tried and true with keeping the engine as low as possible for a lower center of gravity. But I could be wrong. Keep us posted.

Back