New York Motorized Bicycle Laws

New York Motorized Bicycle Regulations

Sangesf why are you making that kind of statement (gas bike's not allowed in NY). I have mine registered with the DMV. No insurance, no inspection, no helmet for 2 years now where's the proof of mb's outlawed in NY. I live in New York City and here is where I registered my Gas Bike. Maybe upstate there real tough about riding them but down here there's no trouble at all. They are legal upstate as well as down here, where do you get your information from?

He got it from the ny dmv,same place i did,same place the cops that ticketed me did.
And a gas motor can't be on a non registered bike at all not even running just for lights.
And electric bikes are not legal at all yet.the bill did not get passed yet and probally won't at all. I think Handicap Mobility scooters are legal for side walk use at around 8-12mph,not for road use.

To register a MB in ny you will need a MSO or title and not add a motor to a bike,it needs to come with a motor already.
I google online and found gas scooters legal for road use and comes with a mso and title and can be registered,there around $500+200 shipping,too much money for me right now.

FM bought his bike with the engine already on it and it came with a mso and title and thats why hes got it registered. That has nothing to do with this forum.

Last edited:
If you scroll down the page there is a contradiction about there use on roads, sidewalks, etc,etc. The reality is to call this number 518 474 5282 and the man at this special registrations desk can give you a list of gas bikes manufacturers approved by the state. No homemade bikes fashioned from engine kits are allowed to registered with the DMV that 's the part all of you are getting confused about. Now if the local police don't know of the legal status that is the law, then you will get ticketed. But if registered with the DMV it will be dismissed in court because it is the law, the law was passed in the summer of 08.

Professor I know that part that reads, bicycles with motors are not allowed, their referring to the guy taking a bicycle and mounting his own engine from a kit and using it on public roads. Not all gas bikes that are complete from a dealer are necessarily on the state approved list either. To clear this matter up call the number 518 474 5282 and the man will explain it to you.

Um.....
Don't you understand, that's what people want to do..
Take a bike and put a motor on it..
Of course a REGISTERED GAS BIKE (also known as a MOPED!) can be used on the roads.
That is NOT what we are talking about.
There is a HUGE difference between a bicycle with a gas engine added to it, and a Moped.

Moped are better made, safer, have lights, directionals, DOT approved tires, etc, etc.

Don't lure people into thinking they can take their bicycles, add a motor and go register it, it won't work, and if it does, you've skirted around the law and what you are riding is an illegal vehicle.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you, I, or a cop thinks..

It's what the law IS and what a judge says about it.

Face it, the difference between a moped (expens) and a gas bike (cheap) is $$$$

Difference between gas bike (cheap) and an electric bike (expens) is again $$$

And just so it's clear, here is the excerpt from your link..

Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

Plain and simple, clear as day.

Last edited:
Fm almost every person on here are riding bikes with a added bicycle engine kit, this is not a moped forum,this is not a skip the work and buy a already built factory bike and register it forum. if you look at the sponsors they sell bicycle engine kits.

The section motorbikes laws and leg is questions reguarding laws on added bicycle motors to bicycles not factory made mopeds,scooters, or anything with a mso or title.

This is pretty standard stuff..

Of course, there is always exceptions to the rule...

For example, if someone had ALREADY has a bicycle with a gas engine on it and originally was able to register it before this law went into effect, and SOLD YOU THE BIKE, that way, it's grandfathered in..

Example, from the link you provided...

Proof of ownership, normally the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), a bill of sale or a previous registration that was transferred to you.

We are NOT talking about buying a moped from a Dealer, such as Cabin has mentioned..

Trust him, he's already been down this route..(unfortunately) :(

Last edited:
Back