New Zbox 70cc - Working fine today, not now?

jonasquinn

Local time
8:29 PM
Hm, Ok, My zbox engine arrived yesterday, it was working today, and I rode it home from work. Had dinner, came back to play with it, and it's not going at all.

Once I release the clutch to start it, the engine turns over, and sounds like it's going, but I think it's just that the motion of the bike is keeping it turning over.

I did notice that the carb was flooding after each of these tries, but that was probably because the fuel wasn't igniting.

I figure it's something electrical. So I took the spark plug out and looked at it while I turned the motor over, I didn't see any spark. Are you supposed to get a spark when the spark plug is out of the hole?

Could it be that the magneto, or CDI ignition box has gone? Or is it simply the spark plug?

You need to ground the plug against the head when checking for sparks...when it's screwed in, it's making that connection.

Are you using a kill switch? If you are, see if you can bypass it. (I got rid of mine completely, and just use the choke to kill the motor...in an emergency, I'll just stop and pop the clutch to kill the motor.) You can also use a multimeter to check the switch: there should be continuity on both sides of the switch until it's pressed.

ALso - make sure there's a good connection on the black and blue wires from the magneto to motor. This is actually the first thing to do.

In regards to being flooded try to start it without the choke.

You have good compression, and we'll assume that the carb works since you just rode it, so yes, it's more than likely electrical.

Hope that helps!
Mark

double check your wiring. i did the same thing today and the wires going to the cdi had become loose. to get a spark, you have to ground the plug to something like the frame.

make sure to put electrical tape around the connections as it can short/earth on the bike's frame as you ride along.

also DO NOT use the included kill switch, just stall the bike to stop it, or you can unscrew the idle controll which will also stop it in the mean time until you get a proper toggle switch installed.

Yeah, I tried again this morning. Same thing. I disconnected the kill switch to be on the safe side. Wiring looks fine, put the spark plug back in. Went to turn it over, and ride, it gargles along but probably only thanks to the momentum of the bike. When i give it some throttle, it gargles a different sound, but still cuts out nonetheless.

:(

Yeah, I tried again this morning. Same thing. I disconnected the kill switch to be on the safe side. Wiring looks fine, put the spark plug back in. Went to turn it over, and ride, it gargles along but probably only thanks to the momentum of the bike. When i give it some throttle, it gargles a different sound, but still cuts out nonetheless.

:(

That's just a cold start mate, you ned to use the choke.

that is the little lever on the carby that goes up and down. when going down a slight hill to start the bike pull it upwards slowly from the down position until you hear the bike pull along, you should also feel it, then after about 10 seconds with cruising like this push the choke all the way down as you give it a bit of throttle.

Ok, Impression, I took your advice. I rode the bike up around the corner, and tried it about 5 times coming back, as it's all a slight down hill. On the 4th go, I got one pop, but that was all.

Ok, Impression, I took your advice. I rode the bike up around the corner, and tried it about 5 times coming back, as it's all a slight down hill. On the 4th go, I got one pop, but that was all.

are you pushing the little button to let fuel in the carby for a good 3 seconds before you start ?

so,

button 3 secs

ride bike for a bit with choke on adjusting choke to right spot, giving it a bit of fuel/rev to warm up.

then when bike looks to be going a bit put the choke all the way down into off position and all should be sweet

The float might be sticking. You should turn the petrol off each time you finish riding. try tapping the carby bowl with the end of a screw driver, give it a good tap. The full lock on the choke and try with just a slight bit of throtle. When it starts you may have to start backing off the choke. Mine was a pain. "The carby that is." I reset the float to stop the carby from dripping petrol all the time when idling. Anyway let us know how you go....

Here in FL, I use the choke for the first run of the day...seems like after that, It won't run with it on...so as soon as you hear your motor start to kick, pull in the clutch and turn off (push down) the choke. Also - don't open the throttle too much when trying to start it with the choke on.

If no better luck, change the plug, if no better luck, change the magneto...make sure the screw on the carb is open 4.5 turns (full turns). Also - how much oil did you mix in with the gas?

Back