Newb Question - Clutch Reassembly

mkleach

Local time
10:48 PM
Hey all, sorry for what is probably a too simple question, but this is my first foray into the world of small motors. I have the 80cc boy go fast kit. I had my clutch cover off yesterday and happened to turn the bike on its side (clutch down) and when I righted the bike I found a pin and a set screw on the ground and can't quite figure how to reassemble these parts.

Here are some pictures...
Pin Out
Pin in
Set Screw

I can see where the pin is supposed to go (the center hole), and tried to just set it in and close the clutch cover, but when I did this the clutch just swung freely, it didn't engage anything.

To be honest, I'm not even sure the set screw came out of the bike, it may just be a remnant of some other project that got lost on the garage floor. I'm also unsure I found everything that may have fallen out of the bike, it seems like I might be missing something that goes in the hole before the pin... a spring or ball?

Any help is much appreciated. Thx.

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Clutching

There needs to be a well greased BALL bearing before the well greased pin.
Open the small sprocket cover and check for it.
If lost

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_3.html
CLUTCH PIN AND BEARING. This is the metal Dowel
and Ball Bearing that is installed into the center of
the engine drive sprocket behind left side engine
sprocket cover. Only $4.99

Do you also have this
Clutch Cable Keeper with locking screw.
Thats Dax ships for free with a $20.00 order
Orders for parts over $20.00 include free shipping.

Or just go to a hardware store and buy any ball that is the same size as the pin, for about 29 cents. LOL

Hey Thanks!

The ball is definitely missing and I can't find it anywhere in the garage so I guess it is off to the hardware store for me (only the third trip today :D ).

Thanks for your help.

You are going to be well known at the hardware store!

The ball is definitely missing and I can't find it anywhere in the garage so I guess it is off to the hardware store for me (only the third trip today :D ).

Thanks for your help.

You are going to be well known at the hardware store, and the bike shop!

I'm in the same Boat!

Thanks for having the same problem as me and having photos! LOL
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why the clutch arm was swinging freely. How bout the placement of that bearing? Let me know if you figure it out first.
Have you run into the vibration issue yet? I've learned that if it has a nut, put locktite on it.

Hatch (Los Angeles)

grease then ball then grease then pin then cover.
Adjust your clutch cable with no play just snug

Back