Newbee & trikes

biplanemarv

Local time
2:12 PM
Hi guys & gals - Just an older guy trying to figure out if I should motorize a 3 wheeler for running to the store, etc. or if I need to create a 3 wheel velomobile without pedals & just use a 40-50 cc Mitsubishi. I have a lot of 13 degree hills to climb but really don't want to pedal due to arthritic knees. However on the flats would like to go at least 25-30 mph which I realize increases the danger. Am looking at the EZ-3 as well as coverting the Classic Rider from here: - http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defa...igation.asp&Main=/bicyclesmain.asp?Type=TRIKE - which looks like it has an option of 68 spoke wheels. So any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Hi marv. Welcome to MBc!
Neat trikes. I dont know enough about them though. Im sure someone will.

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D}
Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

This is one I am considering also

Thanks for the reply. I believe I need at least a centrifical clutch and believe the Mitsubisi 43cc has one. On the other hand am not sure about mounting a gear arrangement when you have a lot of spokes as with the Classic Cruiser instead of the one pictured.

Attachments

• EZ-3_tricycle_with_chain_drive.jpg
    EZ-3_tricycle_with_chain_drive.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 151
Heya,

Definitely check out the link in graucho's post, especially the trikes in the "first place builds" section.

Rear mounting seems too difficult for someone of my skills. I like the front-mounted trike idea. Dunno if you'd want GEBE on it... you like the Mitsubishi which is a good one, but GEBE is still possible. If your fork was wide enough, you could do a chain drive to freewheel pretty easily with another rear wheel placed on the front.

hi marv,

my wife rides an ez 3 trike which i ended up hooking up with an electric motor instead of gas because she tows the kids around. (lota of fumes in their faces ahhh....}

While doing some extensive research i found that staton inc has some great bolt on kits ready assembled for the trikes.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Results1.asp?Category=14

I love riding her trike very comfortable and with the power pack an added bonus.

the staton engines are chain driven which i have no experience with, as my other bike is a belt driven gebe rack mount.

goodluck with your build and i hope you find the info handy.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9468

Thanks guys - I decided early on that I didn't want electric due to their short range. Am sure there would be a way to vent fumes plus create a heat box off of the muffler similar to an airplane for cabin heat. Now am trying to understand why a 50 cc scooter that weighs around 150 lbs. more than a trike (empty) can climb a 12 deg. hill wheras there seems to be concern that a 50cc bike can't. Assume it has to due with wheel size and gearing plus the centrifical clutch. Most of my trips would be in the 20 mile round trip range since I live in the boondocks with a lot of hills but the roads are paved. So in my mind I am seeing a half sized chain drive Harley Trike that can be enclosed with a light weight enclosure & wheels & rims sturdy enough to do the job & one that I won't have to pedal due to the knee problem. I spent most of the day yesterday reading MBF & will do so again today. Besides, I need to build something or go nutz ............. <grin>

Welcome to MBc. I think you're right about gearing being the problem with hill climbing. Set up for mostly level riding, a Mitsu TLE 43 pushes me (135 lbs) on a Trek 830 Aluminum MTB (about 30 lbs) at 25 pretty well. I have to pedal to maintain speed going up hills. My impression is that the EZ-3 is probably lighter and better built than the trikes shown in the link you had. My advice would be Honda GXH50 and NuVinci mid-drive. Spendy, but in the long run, you will probably use it more, with less maintenance issues.

Thanks Alaskavan - Have been looking this morning at the Staton set up. Big bucks but appears as though it might work. I weigh 210 & would probably carry 20-30 lbs. of bags or tools most of the time.

Back