Newbie asking for comments on potential ebike build

Calicoskies

Local time
2:06 AM
Just getting started on my first build. Any comments appreciated. I have done a few weeks of reading/searching for info but would love any comments before I spend the money on motor and battery. I have the trike already. Using a Schwinn Meridian adult trike. Considering a motor from AWInternational via Amazon. It's front wheel hub, 48v 1000watt. Want to buy a battery from LunaCycle, 48v 17.5ah lithium pack. I will add torque arm to front. Not looking to build a motorcycle here basically want to be able to bike for longer rides without worry of running out of human energy. I still love to pedal. Using the trike as I am older and balance is not what it used to be and riding the trike is a lot of fun for me. And she is just cute.

Motor:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBWA5VC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IQCOUQ2MAQJX2&colid=1N0A0KXXBUHRX

Battery:
https://lunacycle.com/48v-pansonic-ga-17-5ah-black-killer-whale-ebike-pack-huge-range

Trike:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Schwi...e-Cherry/12016722?variantFieldId=actual_color

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Very nice battery there. You cannot go wrong with Japanese batteries. It has a higher discharge rate than your motor so plenty of power in that battery for achieving maximum speed without over taxing the battery. But, then you said you are a more casual rider so you can really maximize the range with a more casual speed and some pedaling. Plenty of aH too for long rides. Of course you know that this is an expensive battery so even if your neighborhood is great be sure that it can mount and lock to the trike. The controllers on the stock kits are supposedly crap (I haven't tried upgraded ones) so that is something you can upgrade if you want.

Others might suggest it but there could be a switch that you can buy design specifically for ebike kits to connect the battery to the motor. You really do not want to manually connect the wires all the time. I was pretty bare bones in my ebike build and it really suck to do that.

Thanks for confirmation on battery. Seems maybe I need to look at a better motor option, will do some more research on that. I do have a garage to leave the bike in at home and I am investigating ways to lock down batt or easy removal. I don't plan to ride and leave it many places. Mostly just want to do long rides on greenways here in my city. I have trouble with too many hills and running out of energy.

1kW will take you up to 30 mph which on a trike is about as fast as I want to go on three wheels around a corner. i think you can start with that and then upgrade the controller to allow for more amps and smoother more efficient ride. 1kw is also the highest i've seen in terms of legality as well. you mentioned stability but have you also looked into folding electric bicycles? i am a big fan of folding bikes as motorized bicycles because the wheel size closely match that of a moped or scooter and with that I feel that size wheel balances low end torque and speed well. with also the benefit of having an adjustable seat and small wheels for stability.

Ahh! it is hard to find the rear 20" wheels kit now. There are some on eBay but it is all China sellers which means you have a month wait on average for it to arrive...

Last edited:
For anyone interested: scrapped the trike build. Returned trike. Instead, got a Phat Cycles Del Ray 7speed cruiser. It rides like a dream. This build was for me,the wife, that's my husband in pic. Will update with my pic soon. Put on the front wheel hub motor listed above, controller in the front basket. Using the same Luna killer whale battery, it's housed in the rear bag. This is the most bike fun I have had in 40 yrs. So much fun. Can't wait for DH to get his and we ride together. My fave feature is the cruise control function.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 270
Very lovely bike and color. I think you can drill holes to mount your battery on the top tube for security?? Also, there are rear rack bags with better colors and patterns and a lower profile than the default kit bag. It will give an even better accent for the bike. Check local, Amazon, and eBay for a variety of colors and sizes.

If you are buying from eBay and are new to it, select US location and it will arrive within a week. If you buy overseas or China it will take a month at least and be only a few dollars cheaper.

Back