Chains Newbie! Can't even tension chain!

GOT IT!!! :geek:(y)

I unjammed chain from inside drive sprocket.

Pulled wheel back in the drop out.

Pulled engine up and made sure it was tightened properly.

I took it for a test ride (not motor just pedal cause I don't have any type of exhaust on at the moment!)

However it seems a bit noisy, would putting some lubricant on the chain solve this? Can't remember if it was this noisy prior to the incident?

Lastly, thankyou all for your input - it helped me to get to the problem and to learn more about my bike. Will definitely stick with this forum as it is extremely useful. I will also invest in some tools as these definitely need tinkering with haha - but the feeling when you fix it is of great accomplishment!

Cheers

Yeah I know, that's why I haven't started the motor yet. Don't want to **** off the whole neighborhood.

My exhaust fell off somewhere yesterday, my Dad has 3 of these bikes which he is working on so I will steal one of his exhausts.

I am going to soon describe my design for popping a lawnmower muffler onto the exhaust manifold. Cheap, efficient, and no heavy weight pulling on two little 6mm studs.

Timbone

I am eventually going to make some sort of better muffler to try and reduce the noise that this thing makes as they are quite loud. Let me know how you go with your lawnmower idea!

You said you moved engine more towards handlebars, I am unclear on how you did this. you should have 2 motor mounts, 1 on seat post, and 1 on lower frame post. your engine should rest on both tubes and be clamped tightly to both of them. it sounds like you are missing a mount. A picture of how it is mounted would help a lot. If your chain is noisier you should check the alignment of your sprockets. If you run a string from center of front sprocket to center of rear sprocket, string should be in center of chain the full length. You can do the same thing with a laser if you have one available. I just looked at your pictures again, I don't see a rear motor mount, You do need both motor mounts,and they need to be tight. Happy Motoring

The mounts were lose when I bought it - therefore engine had slid down when riding causing chain to become slack. So because mounts were loose I just slid it back up and tightened them, now the engine does not move.

I have included pictures - there are only two bolts on the bottom which I can see.

As for the chain it turns out it was hitting the fender so I re adjusted the fender - think it is all good now.

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

You should have 2 more bolts and clamp on the seat post they should be almost inline with your lower side of chain. If you don't have them as soon as you try and start it, your engine will move again. the studs may have broken off, they can be removed if that is the case.

I think I can see where you are talking about. What studs do I need? Do I need to take the engine of to put them in?

Cheers

8.jpg

You will need to take the engine off. You will most likely have to drill them, and use an easyout. If you haven't done this before try and get someone to help you that knows what they are doing. Before you try and drill them you need to use a center punch and mark the center of the bolt. If you get your drill of center you won't be able to get the stud out, and you will cause a lot more work for yourself. There was a thread in the last week about removing the studs, see if you can find it. If you can't I will find it for you. I am glad you didn't try and start the engine,you would have just jammed your chain again, and possible bit the pavement. A helmet is always advisable.

Back