Newbie from Louisville

Mercurius

Local time
10:06 AM
This is an awesome site, I've been reading through threads for about 3 days before joining. A lot of you definitely know your stuff.... GREAT pics too.

I've biked to work etc for years (before the gas hike), but since moving a little outside the metro area, I'm wanting to convert my Trek to a friction/moped. I"m a diy-er and plan on rigging this myself.

I like the idea of a friction drive.

Hope to learn a lot from you who know. Cya around.

Welcome aboard, Mercurius! Good to have you aboard.

Ask away with your questions, in the appropriate forum.

Now, the first place to get started is with the 'Read This First' post at the top of the 'Introduce Yourself' forum

And, a good post to get grounded with motorized bikes,and which may help answer some of your questions, is with sparky's crash course

Finally, be sure to use the SEARCH functions here at the site. The odds are, your question, or a very similar one, has been asked before. If the simple (but basic) search function is returning too many results, refer to the advanced search thread.

I'm running a Staton friction drive, and it works well, but then, I live in the Phoenix area - when we get rain, it's an event! As a former Buckeye, I'm not sure that a friction drive is what you really need, (if you need dependable transportation) in the Louisville area. If it's wet, you need to increase the roller pressure a lot, and you have to be careful about giving the engine too much throttle, as it can easily cause the roller to spin on the tire. (which leads to shorter tire life.)

I'm looking at moving to a staton chain drive system in the future.

I have a DE and a Staton knock off from Formula scrubber set ups. I like them myself, however, I live in a semi-arid climate w/o much(any) rain.
Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

thanks for the welcomes. So, after some consideration (and tinkering), it may be wiser to go with a gebe drive ring and belt (easy enough to order, . I have a couple of engines, but I only want to buy things as I need them.

My bike's a 26" Trek 6000 (mens - 32 spoke), never welded a thing in my life, and have no means to start at this point in time, but I want to build this nonetheless.

The engine I'll be working with is a Homelite XL Textron chainsaw (small red, no cc info on it, but it works) .

So, the scariest thing I have to look forward to is mounting the engine, w/out welding. Possible? Any tips? (More importantly, any FORUM LINKS that can save us all a bunch of time? I've been reading archives like crazy!)

Last edited:
Ok, after extensive on-line shopping and research, I've come to the conclusion that the Staton chain drive is the best of the best. I've got half the money saved, and will most likely order my Inside Drive kit next Friday. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Edited to say that I don't have the tools at my disposal to build anything better than a death-trap, not only dangerous to myself, but to others around me! Seriously, this is serious stuff here.. 30mph .... omg.

Last edited:
Well, my kit arrived Thursday (Staton chain/ Mits TLE43). It's heavier than I thought it would be. Anyhoo, takin my wheel to the bike shop Tues to have the hub exchanged for the chain drive. Can't wait for this thing to be up and running.

I can't help but wonder where the other motorized bikes are around Louisville. I'm on my bike daily and haven't seen one.

awesome dude!
any progress? is your wheel done? are you up and running? Terrorizing the streets!

I am still waiting for my Staton box to arrive in the mail. I am excited.

Post pix of your creation when you get it done! or even of the build!

happy riding

Back