Newbie...Hello MotoredBike Members

Journey8210

Local time
8:57 PM
On more than one occassion i have seen people riding these cool motorized bicycles but never followed up to research. Finally i decided to surf the web and came across many sites. MotoredBikes is a great site and i plan to jump right in and attempt to motorize my current bicycle which is a basic low budget 29er mountain bike. From reading and searching it seems the new four stroke 4G belt drive bike engine kit is the wave/way to go. Well, glad to be part of the forum, Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Just pick a good kit and get started.
I have yet to see a motorized 29er build.

Thanx Gearnut & Wheelbender for your reply. i am excited about having a powered bicycle. i figure if i pedal far out and am out of energy, time to turn the motor on.

Good looking out Gearnut i had not seen anything about the EZM's during my previous web search :unsure:. i searched and came across ezbike.com and a few others. Seems this is a sweet engine, although a little more money the quality is stated as excellent. i looked through motoredbikes forums and found some info also. i am definitely interested in buying one of the EZM's. Thanks.

If your heart is not set on a frame mounted engine, do not overlook a GEBE kit either.
They are one speed though you can set the gearing by using different sized transmission pulley.http://www.bikeengines.com/

EZM plans on soon, if not all ready, offering a 2 speed auto.

Numerous choices...suggestions

I received some good feedback from Gearnut and i am glad because as a newbie it has caused me to do research on the web and check through this forum postings and threads. The EZM's sound real interesting because of ease of installation (maybe), and i assume the 4 stroke 4G Belt drive is also good. This is my objective for those that want to chime in with suggestions. Four stroke based motor; I want to be able to pedal normally; pedal with the engine running and be able to coast if I desire (i read some concerns with doing this on the EZM's, also might be concerned with the plastic wheel drive/gearing durability); and be able to just use the engine alone. From what I take from reading it appears chain drive and frame mount is predominatly used by most. i have not bought anything yet, so i want to come as close as possible to getting it right the first time out. Especially the motor (bugs have been worked out and is reliabie), kit, parts, current stuff, etc.

welcome to the forum :)
to answer one of your questions, EZM pedals very easily while the engine is off,
due to the clutch being attached on the secondary side of the drive, not directly to the engines output shaft (as in most other designs)
this means that while under pedal power, you are not turning all the innards of the gear reduction drive, just the drive chain and output side of the clutch (the primary side stays stationary)

I hope that made sense ;)

Azbill,
I understood your explanation clearly. So going with the EZMs I will not have any problems pedaling the bike normally. Thanxs for the feedback.

Back