Newbie intro /felt bike info needed

hotrodlincoln

Local time
9:04 PM
Hi I'm new to the site have been a bike enthusiast for a long time (both vintage and new collector bikes) I came across this site and am impressed by the variety of motorized bike on here. I am looking to motorize a felt bike and have seen the current posts. has anyone put a 48cc motor on a felt bike with 24"x3" tires Like the hot wheels or james dean bike, if so how hard is it. any help would be appreciated,
thanks

hey Hotrod
welcome to the forums
while I'm not familiar with the bike you're talking about, I'm sure someone here is and will be along to point you in the right direction soon

Hi hotrod. Welcome to MBc!
Sorry, also not familiar with felt bikes.

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D
You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to get you motoring.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

im doing one very similar to the felt crusier bike but my tyres are only 2.5" wide also make shure it doesn't have coaster brakes (the ones you peddle backwards) there nothing but a nightmare!also make shure you have enough room in the frame.

Thanks for all the replies, so if there is no coaster brake is it easier to put a disc brake on the back? I am going to be able to piece a Felt bike together so I can choose disc or coaster. Thanks
P.S. Here's a link to felts bike site check out the Cruisers section their bikes are awesome
www.feltracing.com

Hi I'm new to the site have been a bike enthusiast for a long time (both vintage and new collector bikes) I came across this site and am impressed by the variety of motorized bike on here. I am looking to motorize a felt bike and have seen the current posts. has anyone put a 48cc motor on a felt bike with 24"x3" tires Like the hot wheels or james dean bike, if so how hard is it. any help would be appreciated,
thanks

There is quite a bit of information about using Felt bikes here but most of it is talk of using the top tube as the fuel tank. I haven't seen any talk/threads about the problems that might arise out of trying to get the drive chain past a 3in. wide tire. I'm sure it can be done though. You may want to do some searches here about the OCC/Chopper and Stingray Choppers and how they are set up as they have a 4in wide rear tire I believe. I believe there is a special kit with some special parts that aren't available in the standard Happy Time kits for these types of bikes and maybe this kit would solve the problems on a Felt with wide tire as well?

ocscully

Welcome here!! I have built 2 Nirve Switchblade choppers with 3"tires. The clearance issues are endless. It can be done with some special parts and modifications. You can even use the coaster brake if you can find the right parts or don't mind fabricating some. If this is your first build you may want to find something easier. This is the advise that I was given, and then promptly ingnored. Anything is possible if you keep working and thinking about it. Some on here have eliminated the motor side sprocket altogether via a jackshaft which transfers power from the motor side to the pedal side. You might want to go that route too. Once you have your hands on the bike, it might be more apparant what you'll have to do to make things work. Good luck to you!!

sounds good , what kind of parts did you have to fab for the coaster brake? I am in a hot rod/ custom car club and we have a shop with endless tools so I can fabricate some parts if needed . I think a clam shell sprocket setup might work best with some spacers to clear the tire, but the brake was my biggest concern.
Thanks

Back