Newbie looking for ID & Info

planb

Local time
10:03 AM
Hey,

I'm a new member who recently acquired my first motored bike - and an seeking any info on the brand/model/year/ etc.

As you can see this is a bit outside the 'norm'. It's running a 3hp Clinton vertical shaft engine of 50's? vintage, on a Schwinn Spitfire bike of similar vintage.

I plan to do a sympathetic restoration (everything's there - it runs) maintaining the original everything and a bit of patina.

I'm in Chicago. Any insight would be appreciated.

-Ric

Attachments

• RicsRatRod.jpg
    RicsRatRod.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW is right!!!

I saw this post last night, but got lost here http://scooter.lst1090.org/index.htm again.... looking for anything similar.

I would like to see more pics of your Clinton/Schwinn. Like how the belt is routed from the engine to the 'mid drive'.

This bike is a very cool find... someone, somewhere will surely have some info.

I would like to see more pics of your Clinton/Schwinn. Like how the belt is routed from the engine to the 'mid drive'.

This bike is a very cool find... someone, somewhere will surely have some info.

I'm with srdavo on that. We'd like to see more photos of this interesting bike. I've never seen one before, and I'm wondering how many might have been made. I'm sure it's a rare piece.

Yep, that's a Clinton & a lot of those are still around. There are different websites/groups, online, where you can find any parts needed. Like Srdavo, I am trying to figure out how the routing was done on the belt. Horizontal engines are by far easier to adapt to a bike, & Clinton made some good ones as well.

yeah...you're costing me minutes ;)

turn it the other way already...

we're all on the phone trying to guess where the belt goes from "there"...whatever "that" is :giggle:

Last edited:
Back