Newbie Seeking MB Opinions

stringer

Local time
4:20 AM
Hi,

I was thinking of putting together my own MB and wanted to get some opinions. I know next to nothing about this, but I'm trying to learn. Basically It would be convenient if my current bike would work well for conversion. Not only because It would save me from buying another bike, but well ... I spent $350 on this bike about 3-4 years ago and used it once for about twenty minutes. I suppose im looking for a general purpose MB can also fare well off pavement on occasion if needed. Reliability and proper fit being main concerns as well. Would need to be 49cc or less.

Anyway, I would like to know the pros/cons for going with this bike. Is it a good idea, or are there far better options? Its a Specialized hard rock sport. Also, If this bike is a good platform, how would you set it up? Friction, chain ... etc ?? 2 or 4 stroke?? Be specific if possible, links are great too. Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• Bike1.JPG
    Bike1.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 221
  • Bike2.JPG
    Bike2.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
if i still had my specialized "expedition" it would be motorized...very nice bikes for the money. you already know what drivetrain i'd recommend ;)

if i still had my specialized "expedition" it would be motorized...very nice bikes for the money. you already know what drivetrain i'd recommend ;)

I'm afraid i dont know, which would you recommend?

After more reading, I know I want to get a 4 stroke kit. I really like the look of those subaru EHO35 engines. Does anyone offer a 4 stroker that mounts inside the frame??

After more reading, I know I want to get a 4 stroke kit. I really like the look of those subaru EHO35 engines. Does anyone offer a 4 stroker that mounts inside the frame??

EHO35 is epic win!

A

i think i might be limited to 2 strokes due to price. i would really like a kit with the EHO35 tho.

By the looks of your frame you definitely need to get a rackmount setup which tend to be more expensive than frame mounted engines but are of much higher quality. A chain driven kit like the Dax Titan or Staton will mount up fairly easily to your bike and give you the durability of a chain and sprocket drive for off-roading. Although more expensive and heavier the staton kit is going to be better off road because the hardware used is almost overkill and extremely strong components. The engine drives the hub of all their kits too rather than pulling on the spokes. I've gone off-roading many times on my bike and have had no problems yet. The NuVinci gear reduction definitely helps over rough terrain and although expensive it is the best thing out there for putting a multi-geared system on a bicycle.

i was making a joke (;))...i'm golden-eagle all the way, see my signature...remembering what i do about my specialized i know it would make one heck of a rack-mount motoredbike. for those who haven't experienced it, rack-mount is a pleasant surprise...and the R/S 35 has proven itself as one heck of a good epa-compliant powerhouse.

Go for the subaru. The joy of lasting quality long exceeds the memory of spending a little bit more money for it.

Skip a couple pizzas to make up the difference.

You may consider a few hacks for road use; ape hanger handlebars, suspension seat post, cruiser tires... but get it working first.

It is difficult to describe and imagine the feeling of flying along on a bike that you're not pedalling... but take our words for it, it is very addicting.

Thanks alot for all the input!

Can you tell me why I would definately need a rackmount for this bike? I would just like to know how that works.

I really do like that subaru. And the thought of a 4 stroke sounds better to me. After more consideration, im perfectly willing to drop the off-pavement requirement i stated earlier.

So what would you do to this bike? Honestly, that staton subaru kit for $399 is looking pretty good. Its friction drive ... you think thats a good idea?

Back