Newbies first build "Hardly Davidson" w/photos

Hi guys,
I joined here recently when i happened to run across a little 48cc Chinese motor kit at the local pawn shop and a nearly new OP Roller bike at the Goodwill. The motor kit was unused although the original buyer did try to mount the sprocket on some bike and broke one of the bolts. All of the other stuff was still in sealed plastic bags from the factory and had never been installed. The whole engine kit was in a box with the instruction manual. The bike was $50 and the engine kit $100, so i wasn't into it too deep. I have always wanted to build a motored bike ever since i was a kid and I figured this was my chance. I did a bunch of research here on your site before i ever turned the first bolt just so i could start off in the right direction. I did replace all of the hardware with US Metric 8.8 nuts, bolts, and washers. I also replaced all of the studs in the engine including the head studs with 6mmx1.0 threaded rod from Fastenal. I Loctited everything that could vibrate loose and jam nutted a few areas of concern. The muffler was pointing almost straight down, so i used the band saw to cut a "V" out at a pre-measured strategic angle which brought the muffler up nice and tight under the frame. Then i fired up the Lincoln wire feed welder and welded the joint back up nice and strong. Finally ground the weld down nice and smooth so it looks factory original. I refused to drill any holes in this frame since it is aluminum and i didn't want to jeopardize strength. I adjusted the motor drive chain to match the original pedal chain length so that no chain tensioner pulley is needed. I think i have plenty of adjustment as the chain stretches, but i can always install the tensioner later if needed. I finished the job by removing all of the OP Roller decals, painting the frame in a classy gold and black combination and then applying some vintage style Harley Davidson decals on the tank and frame. I finally installed some gold pinstriping and painted the custom Schwinn seat a nice tan color to give a hint of vintage leather. After i finished the build, i remembered an antique "Solar" brand carbide bike lamp that i bought at a yard sale 25 or 30 years ago. It has been sitting in the original box on a shelf ever since and i figured that this original 1880's lamp would be the perfect finishing touch for my new "Hardly Davidson" motored bike. I took a few photos when i finished her up and just before i took her out for her maiden voyage. Hope the photos don't bore you, but i got caught up in the moment once i saw her in the viewfinder. BTW, she runs like a top and i have been riding gently the last couple of days breaking her in slowly and properly according to instructions i located here. Thanks for all of the great information that you veteran builders have shared! I couldn't have done nearly as well as i did if it weren't for your generous sharing of tips and building information. Kind regards, braswell57
IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

Nice detailing. Good work on chopping the muffler too--I've tried to heat and bend a few with less than stellar results. I highly recommend a front brake.

Excellent looking build. Love the old school stuff and the headlight definately tops off the antique look. My compliments.

Back