newbies ,,the building blocks

I THINK ,what best describes what im trying to convey ,was best said by JAY LENO,,when he started writing tech stuff for popular magizines ,,,he first went head on with the newbie subject ,,,,it went something like this ...we have become such a "CORRECT SOCIETY" the new guys coming in are afraid to ask anything ,,,he tells this story about him wanting to learn car engine basics,,one day he picked up an exhaust manifold,,,mistakenly called it an intake manifold,,,somebody said "hey dumb bell " thats exhaust manifold ,,,he said this held him back years ,,new guy afraid to make a mistake !!!,,,it wasn't untill he found some old guy taking him under his wing did he really learn ,,,now he degrees in his own cams,,,writes tech for magizines,,he swears the newbies can't learn these days for fear of making a mistake,,i see it every day .!!,,newbies go into posting frenzy,,because they want to get involved,,!! they don't want to wait a month to ask their simple basic questions ,,,i have seen shop pecking orders before ,,,sending the new kid after positive battery acid ,,muffler bearings ,,,yes there is allways the big dog ,,who holds out information and lets it out to suite his ego,,,LENO said unless we let the newbies in ,we are going to end up with a new generation of kids who don.t work on squat,,,This site is the best tech site for motored bikes,no place has as much on the subject,,let the newbies ask a few questions ,,WHEELSMITH

I THINK ,what best describes what im trying to convey ,was best said by JAY LENO,,when he started writing tech stuff for popular magizines ,,,he first went head on with the newbie subject ,,,,it went something like this ...we have become such a "CORRECT SOCIETY" the new guys coming in are afraid to ask anything ,,,he tells this story about him wanting to learn car engine basics,,one day he picked up an exhaust manifold,,,mistakenly called it an intake manifold,,,somebody said "hey dumb bell " thats exhaust manifold ,,,he said this held him back years ,,new guy afraid to make a mistake !!!,,,it wasn't untill he found some old guy taking him under his wing did he really learn ,,,now he degrees in his own cams,,,writes tech for magizines,,he swears the newbies can't learn these days for fear of making a mistake,,i see it every day .!!,,newbies go into posting frenzy,,because they want to get involved,,!! they don't want to wait a month to ask their simple basic questions ,,,i have seen shop pecking orders before ,,,sending the new kid after positive battery acid ,,muffler bearings ,,,yes there is allways the big dog ,,who holds out information and lets it out to suite his ego,,,LENO said unless we let the newbies in ,we are going to end up with a new generation of kids who don.t work on squat,,,This site is the best tech site for motored bikes,no place has as much on the subject,,let the newbies ask a few questions ,,WHEELSMITH
STABB IT AND STEER IT

Thanks for the hard work

I moderate a group with 1800 users. (Aviation related) It can turn into a wild shootout. I for one appreciate the hard work that the mods and admins do here....more than you know...

Cheers..

Walt

oops ,,mr augidog ,,,the reference to big dog in my leno message ,,was surley not intended to refer to you ,,,the two dogs ,,yes could see how you might think attack ,,,no no ,,please understand this was only an oberservation of shop politics ,,this site is a must have for tech info and your work is spot on,,,new comers are not your only concern i realize ,,but they do have to break in some how ,,they are the new generation of buyers,,,and small shops need the newbie ,,,we welcome them with no pecking order politics,,wheelsmith

thanks for the clarification... :)

you have to believe me, i always worry about how to juggle my responsibilities...the new member is important, but the integrity of the info is every bit as important...

i've just started a major-restructuring, the clubhouse can get as messy as you all can tolerate, i'll try to not sweat it too much beyond content.

but, you all better be on the ball with the garage area, that's where i'm going to focus my work from now on...

deal?

I know this is an old post, however I just read it. I have gotten a lot from this forum & wanted to give something back. I just wanted to let you know if you need any volunteers for anything I would like to do what I can! Thanks, Dan

When i came to MBc as a noob. I knew nothing about bikes and enough about small engines to keep my lawnmower running. NO ONE here has ever talked down to me due to my lack of knowledge. I have always felt supported and encouraged. When Augi helped re build my engine, he named parts that I never heard of and tolerated my lackof knowledge and educated me a great deal.
Once again I can not say thanks to MBc enough.
Scott

This website has been the BEST and for that matter the ONLY source for tech/mech help and simple crying shoulder assistance (because your wife won't really understand why you're upset that your engine won't turn over).

Allowing a newcomer to the forum to just post whatever question they want without regard for forum policy causes multiple posts that nobody will ever read and also results in a whole lot of SPAM messages and junk that none of us need to see. The forum is as neat and tidy as it is with plenty of new stuff to look at every day because of these policies.

Back