newbies ,,the building blocks

W

wheelsmith

reading alot about sanctions on newbies posting to soon ,,,lots of newbies maybe just put there first china engine on a bike ,,but don't under estimate where some of these guys have been ,,most fellows did something engine or bike related before coming here ,,they bring new ideas new information to the forum and tons of .car ,,motorcycle,,enginering information they gained along the way ,,,newbies are the building blocks of any hobby,,they are egar to share and learn,,,so what the new few ask a simple fuel question???,,remember your first days???,,newbies will keep coming you hope ,,a light friendly suggestion to them is a gentalmans way of lending them new learning curve skills,,,nobody knows it all ,,so limit the sanctions and open up to the knowledge these newbies might bring,,,regards newbie WHEELSMITH

if you have a fuel question about the happy-time engine, use the search engine to get a ton of effective results. when you find a topic that's close to your issue, post your question there instead of starting a new topic.

if you have a unique question that we don't already have the answer to, please DO post it.

do you see the difference?

new members on forums tend to go into a posting frenzy, and that's not welcome here. we're no-nonsense and expect our members to do their part to keep things tidy, sorry if it means learning something new. i figure if you want to rub elbows with these groovy guys and gals you'll put the time in.

ITS THE OLD JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH THE FIRST STEP,,,I see your point,,but to many sanctions run the free thinkers off ,,its like stopsigns out in the middle of nowhere ,,or sign that reads cliff ,,do we need them ,,,some things just are ,,,,when your new to something,,,help the new guy you might need his help on down the road ,,,,,wheelsmith

well, i also see your points...but please do consider the advice i put in the welcome message, it's to the point and therefore helpful, no? it truly isn't personal, 4 guys moderate several thousand posts every month, what's wrong with demanding cooperation? also, all the stickies i advocate reading are geared towards helping a new member. we do want people to integrate comfortably, but that's a 2-way street...MBc staff are not service personnel but volunteers.

look at things a lil more closely...i anticipated the new arrival, and put a lot of time into pointing out the water-holes, but still cannot make the forum-noob drink. like i said, tho...anyone truly interested will make the effort.

EDIT: all this talk...noone ever sees all the moves/edits/deletes that are just part of the job, the many posts we moderate by members who simply misplaced some content. the public examples you see are a small part of the forum ops at MBc, all we're doing is weeding out the 3 or 4 out of 10 that aren't MBc material. please note we're also setup to help the public, and noone has to join anything to get that help, all they have to do is learn how to use a search engine.

newbies in everything hobby related are like ants at your picnic,,killing them does no good ,,they just keep coming ,,will allways be the few you have to spoon feed ,,but in the long run one friend made will make your work worthwhile,,i can allready tell you love and hate it ,,,we live with so many rules in our lives ,,to many in a hobby make it work and people loose interest fast ,,,factor in the mistakes and do the best you can ,,everybody is new at something ,,your interest and knowledge is not over looked ,,i read every thing first ,,just in defense of the newbie 16 year old that dosen;t know two stroke from 4 stroke ,,having been in the motorcycle shop bussiness for 40 years ,,i;ve learned the newbie is the whole tamalie,,without them we are done ,,so i under stand ,spent 25 years of my life answering the same questions ,i can relate to newbie questions ,,in the long run who's the victor you are ,,!! so bite your lip and forge ahead ,,its nerve wracking ,,but you have done good things,, to many rules to read make things worse,,our shop has big sign says ,,stay out ,no public beyond this point ,the bigger i make this sign ,,the harder it is for them to see ???,,they still walk in the backroom ,, wheelsmith

and thankyou for just that ,,the work it takes behind the scene i understand ,,the newbie will just keep coming you;ll see ,,you can;t kill um ,,and they multiply ,,you;;ll see ,,,thanks mr edit ,,,wheelsmith

i think you're confusing the issue...

the fella who's new to engines is not my concern, we WANT them to participate. he/she should post in "introduce yourself" and tell us they're new, then give us a chance to teach them the next thing.

the forum-newbie, however, simply has to learn how to get around a forum if they wish to participate....we try to help but can only do so much. a very common weekend occurrence: new member/5 new topics/all the same thing/much ado about old news/all off-topic...there goes an hour of my time...i should be nice? hardly, because there's also 5 or 6 new members who do deserve my time but i can't spare it.

in real life, a new guy walks in and starts interrupting, i'll be ignoring him. he starts vying for attention like a kid, i'll shut him down. if he shows some manners and intro's himself, then asks some basic questions, i'll listen politely, then point to the appropriate stack of tech-manuals. if he says he can't find the info, i'll try to teach him how to use the appendix. if he isn't trying to do for himself, i ain't doin' for him.

maybe there's more to my goals than just collecting members and posts? read the last part of my signature...

I THINK, i better understand ,,i fix a lot of free stuff for kids ,young guys,,with famous last words read the instructions next time ,,allways suggest online or shop manual advice ,,some times they say ,,you tell me ,,some i do ,,if i have time ,,,,,the older i get the more i see young guys ,,who have no mentors in the shops anymore ,,,the time i spend setting young guys straight is good for the whole hobby ...and yes make them think on there feet ,,,but i don't run them off ,,,nobody has the time any more and the small shops dry up and fade away,,,, wheelsmith

the saying
"give a man a fish, and he will eat tonight...teach a man to fish, and he will eat everyday "
is, I believe, what we are trying to convey

Back