Newest Phantom 85 Information

Crank bearings I used were FAG C3 spec with a 14k rpm rating (23k with no seals). Any c3 spec quality bearing will do the job.

As for the crank balance, yes you can use that method. It will get you at least 80% of the way there. I used that method to start but then adjusted for the weight of my windowed Meteor piston. It was fairly close before the adjustments and likely would have been more than adequate.
Sweet, thanks.

Post #10

And…

To true the crank

These two videos have worked well for me.

I can confirm that if you use anything other than the stock windowed piston ... you've flushed your warranty. It doesn't matter if the piston caused the issue or not, if you deviate from the stock configuration of the motor, you are on your own.

That means I get to make a choice: Bone stock ... and protected for the 6 months (well, 4 months by the time I get the damn thing on a bike) ... or run the solid piston and lose the warranty completely. BTW... the way she wrote it made it sound like that would include even changing the CLIP (she emphasized the "stock configuration" part.

So it will soon be decision time.... run her stock and protected for a few months... or go right to the better piston/rings and lose the warranty?

I'm leaning toward running it stock for the 4 months... THEN swapping to the updated piston (if she survives)...

She did indicate she's sold plenty of motors and that not a whole lot of them are coming back from the latest batch (I assume she meant Gen 3).

Hell... I'm leaning toward strapping her toghether 100% bone-stock ... roll that dice...

If it survives the 4-5 months, swap pistons and call it a day. If it doesn't... hit up the warranty (then run the new piston in the new motor).

I figure I can even clean up the ports when I swap out pistons, etc.

Big question is ... do I stick with the stock clips or go with the upgraded Stilh... I'm guess they'd us that as an excuse to NOT provide warranty support if I did and something broke.

My problem is that 4-5 months runs right though my winter. There is no riding going on during much of winter... at all.

:(

My problem is that 4-5 months runs right though my winter. There is no riding going on during much of winter... at all.

:(
Sure you can ride...I used to ride my motorcycles all winter long in New England except during blizzards and Nor Easters when I was younger...It builds character and fortitude...lol.

I ride all winter, just not two wheels.
97powderspecialefi580_01.jpg

Hell... I'm leaning toward strapping her toghether 100% bone-stock ... roll that dice...

If it survives the 4-5 months, swap pistons and call it a day. If it doesn't... hit up the warranty (then run the new piston in the new motor).

I figure I can even clean up the ports when I swap out pistons, etc.

Big question is ... do I stick with the stock clips or go with the upgraded Stilh... I'm guess they'd us that as an excuse to NOT provide warranty support if I did and something broke.
That's what I thought, stick with stock and if it blows up get a new one. But after it happened twice I'm just going to void the warranty to make sure it'll last more than 30 miles. It's a powerful engine and I'd like to actually have one running.

I'm surprised that she said there's not many breaking...

...black ice + motorized bike = Unhappy Camper

I'm none-too-keen on being an Unhappy Camper.

Once the temps hit sub 33 degrees... I'm done riding.

Back