Newest Phantom 85 Information

The needle bearing that came with ms380 piston is 12mm and the phantoms is 16mm.

This be it I suppose? I guess I can't use my rings from my new Phantom, right?

(automatic no unless you ask)
If you want to use the other rings you could. If you were going to do that though get them without the caber rings and save some money. Also be aware that the pop-up piston will increase compression so if you were wanting to remove base gaskets it may make the compression higher than desired.

I am a fan of Caber rings personally for a number of reasons. They are just a higher grade of material. They are incredibly tough while also being flexible - aka proper heat treating. The edges have a slight chamfer to them so they don't snag ports as easily and they just last forever. They are probably one of the best names in the 2 stroke world when it comes to rings for a reason.
The needle bearing that came with ms380 piston is 12mm and the phantoms is 16mm.
What dimension are you measuring?

I have an MS380 wrist pin needle bearing right here in my hand and it measures 16mm OD x 12mm ID x 13mm W

Here just to show some visual proof this is 3 pictures showing an 038 wrist pin bearing and pin in the end of the Phantom rod and with the 038 piston I have as well (click the picture for a larger view)

Got it. I'd be an idiot to spend $300+ on a motor and then chinse out on $50.00 to eliminate a potential problem spot.

Damien's issue solidified my decision.

With the new piston, I assume I should still stick to the recommended break-in schedule (with mixtures)?

Got it. I'd be an idiot to spend $300+ on a motor and then chinse out on $50.00 to eliminate a potential problem spot.

Damien's issue solidified my decision.

With the new piston, I assume I should still stick to the recommended break-in schedule (with mixtures)?
If you want more help with the decision I put a poll up on the Phantom 85 facebook builders group for those of us who are running 460 or 380 pistons if we have had any failures. Last I checked I had 11 or 12 responses - all still running strong.

A few more pictures for fun.

This is a few measurements I took comparing the stock Phantom piston to a Hyway.

Piston diameter being the most laughable IMHO (Stock on the left)

Crown height comparison (Stock on the left)

The crown height change is something to keep in mind if you are looking to play around with the squish gap. Also notice how much more material there is on the bottom ring land on the transfer side of the piston. That area is a common failure point for the lower ring when it snags.

So I assume the cylinder is 52mm?

...and I also assume I should stick with keeping the two gaskets as normal?

I figure I'll stick with the hardware that comes with the new piston. How are those clips?

So I assume the cylinder is 52mm?

...and I also assume I should stick with keeping the two gaskets as normal?

I figure I'll stick with the hardware that comes with the new piston. How are those clips?
The Hyway comes with G clip style IIRC

I prefer the legless circlips like the ones I posted earlier in this thread

That being said you can do what many people have done and trim the leg back on said circlips and save yourself the money

The Hyway comes with G clip style IIRC

I prefer the legless circlips like the ones I posted earlier in this thread
Well... then my $12.00 won't be wasted.

;)

Back