Newest project- Staton 43 cc chain drive (and hiding a rack-mount)

just asking from the way it loks you will confuse the cops yes officer that is a carte on the back of my bike what do you mean thyer is no motor or engine back ther what gives you that idea iwas doing 20 and not pedealing ohhhh

just if you ask thats what i think

:cool:beast, i'm installing the exact engine/STATON gear drive on my DAHON bike. i tried your milk crate idea. i did not have to cut and section the crate; i just placed it UPSIDE DOWN over the entire engine/drive box assembly. just need to hinge the crate to the front drivebox mount for a pivot point.
great idea, that crate. it'll safeguard the fuel tank, choke, killswitch and pullstart.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i tried that

ya i noticed it fit pretty good that way almost made to fit .doesnt the upsidedown way kinda block yer exhaust and air to the motor?ive made 2 cut up crates and im still not 100% happy with them,maybe go back and try again.those crates are very durable.the one i had 100 lbs of tools in it for 8 years and it never sagged or bent pretty good for a usually free thing.haha

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool:beast, i haven't fired it up yet, but the exhaust is a straight shot through a 2" hole in the crate, so no meltdowns. air will be blowing through from all angles.

Beast, I like your trybrid bike, looks expensive tho. I guess you wont find your bike leaving you stranded anywhere, engine breakdowns are of no worry to you.

Pity because of your laws u have to mess around with all this stealth technology....makes the rest of us appreciate what we HAVN'T got,silly laws and cops curiosity.

Fetor56, Thank you for the pity, and yes it really "grinds my gears" about the laws here, even still i want to pursue this project regardless, of the restrictions. On the plus side, this project will pose a challenge for me, and what is a hobby without a little challenge. Also, the idea of pulling this off certianly has an element of thrill to it. Here is a random idea for people doing a project like this in B.C. that are facing the same risks I am.
This is a little far fetched and costly, but mabey it will catch on.
Why not find a small 12volt battery and mount it to the bike, then simply hook up a radar dectector to it, and be one step ahead at all times.
It may not be a good idea, but its still an idea!

Fetor56, Thank you for the pity, and yes it really "grinds my gears" about the laws here, even still i want to pursue this project regardless, of the restrictions. On the plus side, this project will pose a challenge for me, and what is a hobby without a little challenge. Also, the idea of pulling this off certianly has an element of thrill to it. Here is a random idea for people doing a project like this in B.C. that are facing the same risks I am.
This is a little far fetched and costly, but mabey it will catch on.
Why not find a small 12volt battery and mount it to the bike, then simply hook up a radar dectector to it, and be one step ahead at all times.
It may not be a good idea, but its still an idea!

By all means persue your project regardless....persue it to the fullest man.
You'll get a fine sense of satisfaction every time a cop goes PAST you.
Just be carefull that's all i'm saying......from my experience cops are like sharks...it's the one u don't see that gets you. :)

Hiding a rack-mounted engine

Augidog asked me to move this topic here, so this is a repost.

I live in a state, namely Georgia, where motorized bicycles are not strictly legal (except for electric assisted). Now, I'd like to have a four-stroke engine because they're less noisy and more reliable. (Reliability is important, 'cause my motorized bicycle is going to be used for my daily commute to work); however, all the four-stroke kits in my price range of under $400.00 (and the farther under the better) are all rack mounts, which makes the motor painfully obvious. Now, I've looked at Beast's pictures, and the milk crate definitely camouflages the engine; however, I'm wondering if it would be possible to completely cover the sides and top of the motor, leaving only the front and back open, and still get enough airflow to keep the engine cool. Anyone's thoughts?

Oh, and while I'm at it, do you think I'm correct in assuming that frame-mounted engines attract less attention from the cops?

Robert

If you're using it as a commuter, could you put panniers on there mounted so as to hide the motor? And yes, I think you are correct in your assumption, but there might be one cop out there who might not be impressed. (Pedal, smile, and wave.)

Back