newish builder, seeking advice on loads of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazziuz83

Local time
6:43 AM
Greetings,

Firstly let me say that this forum has helped me massively with my first build, which i road daily 10-15 miles 6 sometimes 7 days a week in a round trip to and from work , up until it was stolen. then i go and get ripped off on Facebook market, guy advertised the bike as one thing , and i didnt look close enough at the bike before i paid for it , so my fault on that one. so this time im looking to build from the ground up or as close as i can till i learn some welding skills and can get a welder.

ok so on to the meat of the post...

im looking for suggestions as to what fat tire bike will be best considering the following factors:

1: at least disk brakes on the front , if not both tires
2: trying to keep price as low as possible so the price range 200-300 ish usd ( as is its gonna take me months to save up enough to get the bike in that price range so hopefully i can find a decent bike in the correct size and price range,lol)
3: Solid front forks, i dont want suspension forks ,every bike i have ever owned in my 36 years of life that had them has broken down on me in the first month of owning it,trying to avoid that ( even if it is just random chance and superstition on my part)
4: one that will require little to no fabrication of basic bike parts, since i cant weld to save my life.

thats basically what i a m looking for in a bike, so any suggestions on that would be helpful, as it stands im looking at a fat tire mongoose from walmart, cant remember the full name off the top of my head, but it has back coaster brakes and front disc brakes, rigid front forks , but some of the reviews on it say you cant mount on to it with out re-welding the top bar , so i dont know about it .

the 66/80cc BBR Tuning Bullet Train 2 Stroke engine kit is what i am looking at using, but is there a easier way to get a electric start ? preferably with out having to carry a drill around

Also, from the reading i have done i keep seeing people say that for fat tire bikes its easiest to use a jackshaft to get chain clearance ,but that moves the engine chain over to the other side of the bike, so what would it be called if its just 2 sprocket/cogs on a short keyed shaft keeping the engine chain on that side of the bike, but allowing you to shift the second chain outwards a little for proper clearance with out having to off set the engine mounting?

so to break my wierldy worded and kinda long winded post down to a tldr version :

any suggestions on a fat tire bike in the 200-300 dollar range ( i assume there wont be any cheaper than that since i cant seem to find any )
do you all think the 66/80cc BBR Tuning Bullet Train 2 Stroke kit is any good , and would it work on a fat tire bike with out massive modification to the bike
and what would you call a jackshaft like thing that keeps the chains all on the same side and is more used for giving your engine chain a better alignment when you cant offset the mounting of your engine?

im certian i will have other questions, but for now , this is all i got since till i can figure out what bike imma get , and then get it and the engine kit for it,everything i plan is just basically planning, and or theroycrafting , but i know once i have the items issues will crop up , they always do

the images are of my first build , was a 80cc china girl on a 26 inch kent bayside cruiser, the first image is the one before i replaced my rims ,and the second one is after i replaced them , sadly the cops said the images were not of sufficient quality to assist in them finding my stolen bike, but im still hopeful since ht thieves left there flip flops behind,lol

Attachments

• oldbike.jpg
    oldbike.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 213
  • oldbike2.jpg
    oldbike2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 226
Sorry for your losses man. Child thieves should lashed and put into force labor along with what ever guardian was supposed to be responsible. Adult thieves should be shot on sight or hung in the town square. What city do you live in so I know never to go there?

Sorry for your losses man. Child thieves should lashed and put into force labor along with what ever guardian was supposed to be responsible. Adult thieves should be shot on sight or hung in the town square. What city do you live in so I know never to go there?
Jacksonville , Fl

sad thing is they jumped over a 6 ft privacy fence, unlocked it from the inside then just walked out with it . left there flip flops though, cops said in 4-6 months IF they are in the criminal database , the dna from the flip flops might lead to an arrest, but my bike is probably long gone

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, crime is pretty bad in alot of neighborhoods there. When you get your new bike built, take it for a spin at the go kart track on 103rd street.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, crime is pretty bad in alot of neighborhoods there. When you get your new bike built, take it for a spin at the go kart track on 103rd street.
ill take a look in to it, honestly i didn't know there was a go kart track around,lol

on a side note, i think i have narrowed down my bike choices :
Mongoose Dolomite Men's Fat Tire Bike

Mongoose Men's Malus

they both are in the price range as far as i can tell, but cant figure out which is the better option

It's called the 103rd street sports complex. It's free to use if it's not rented out for that day. If you miss the freeway exit you have a 5 mile round trip to orange park and back.
I crashed there trying to ride 2 wheels on my go kart when I was 7 years old (in 1992). I managed to do it on the last sweeper, and tried to replicate it... ended up scraping half my face off. Thank god all I have left for scaring is a split left eyebrow... had one of the top plastic surgeons in the southeast work on my face. Was fun till I went flipping off the track...

Last edited:
ill take a look in to it, honestly i didn't know there was a go kart track around,lol

on a side note, i think i have narrowed down my bike choices :
Mongoose Dolomite Men's Fat Tire Bike

Mongoose Men's Malus

they both are in the price range as far as i can tell, but cant figure out which is the better option
My suggestion would be neither. You have to offset the engine for chain clearance of the rear tire or go with a jack shaft setup. For the later you need to check for enough room between the seat tube and the rear tire. Then once you have it up and running it is the worst handling piece of bouncing crap with tires like beach balls that have balancing for going at low speeds. I thought it would be cool too till I owned one. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Worthless for the streets. I was lucky enough to find someone who only wanted one for their motor home to putt around the camp sites.

My suggestion would be neither. You have to offset the engine for chain clearance of the rear tire or go with a jack shaft setup. For the later you need to check for enough room between the seat tube and the rear tire. Then once you have it up and running it is the worst handling piece of bouncing crap with tires like beach balls that have balancing for going at low speeds. I thought it would be cool too till I owned one. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Worthless for the streets. I was lucky enough to find someone who only wanted one for their motor home to putt around the camp sites.

then what would you suggest? i want a fat bike tire, not because it looks cool, but because it eliminates my need to worry about terrain i happen to be riding over for the most part. but i am open to suggestions.personally if i wanted a cool looking bike i would try to find a reasonably priced Schwinn Stingray Bike and go from there . i could probably build one for around the same price i am looking at for the fat tire bike, but with a different engine ,assuming i could find a decently priced bike to work off of , which to be fair, cheapest i have seen in my area is 250-300 and covered in rust,lol for one that looks decent ( as in everything works on it and doesn't look like it will fall apart if i sat on it) 350-400 seems to be the average.

on a side note to everyone else :

anyone know what it would be called if the chain from the engine ran to a sprocket that was attacked to a short bar, that had another sprocket attacked to it like 2 inches over , that had the rear wheel chain attached to it ? all on the same side , so i dont think it would be called a jackshaft but i could be wrong.

on a side note to everyone else :

anyone know what it would be called if the chain from the engine ran to a sprocket that was attacked to a short bar, that had another sprocket attacked to it like 2 inches over , that had the rear wheel chain attached to it ? all on the same side , so i dont think it would be called a jackshaft but i could be wrong.
It's still called a jackshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back