Newly installed, but need help

• Thread starter Keepthedrivetommy
  • Start date
Well, there is still the problem with the motor not actually producing any power. It runs and I know it is on, but if I stop pedalling, the motor slows to a stop.

sounds like fuel (maybe)

have you familiarized yourself with the carb and settings?

idle, choke, mixture...all primitive adjustments but crucial to performance & reliability.

i see you're at 18:1. i have two new 70's here in town breaking in real nice at the same ratio. they'll use it for one tank then go to 32:1 dino for a gallon, then 36:1 permanently.

plug gap at .025 max?

that is an accurate pic and description, yes.

trying the different slots is easy as pie once you get into it...let us know how it's going.

im still trying to break in the engine, so what slot do you think the circle washer thing should be at. aND since my motor doesnt seem to be actually producing power, do you think that screwing in the idle screw might help

2nd slot is reliable.

check to make sure all slack is out of throttle cable-housing, but don't overdo. do this with the fitting on top of carb, then lock it. check throttle travel...can you "hear" the slide hit top & bottom?

holding the throttle open, screw the idle screw in then back out 2 turns (for now)

fuel filling the line and filter? you DO have an inline, right?

check plug gap?

btw-have we covered the intake connections? gasket & carb-to-intake?

Just curious is there anyone in the chicago area that would be willing to help me get this bike running well? I could come pick you up, I live in the Northshore suburbs, and pay you $50. I really want this to work, but feel like I need some professional help, from someone who knows what they're doing. Anyone??? :D

I'm lost... hear the slide hit top and bottom on the carb? Slide is the thing in the carb, the pin with the circle washer thing? What is an inline? Plug gap (as in the spark plug thing at top of the motor. I screwed that in all the way) Dont quite know what the intake connections are.

i wasn't trying to overwhelm you...i always figured one of the smartest moves i could make was to admit i needed to know more before proceeding...that would be great if you could have some face-time with someone who can help.

last resort, if you're willing, maybe you can find someone to go PM with you and start from scratch?

perhaps. I will try all this tomorrow, but I do want to know one more thing so I can sleep soundly. When the bike is just sitting there during the night or whenever, the little fuel filter should have some fuel in it still right? It is maybe one quarter full, and the line down to the carb below it is full also, obviously.

Back