NEXT Mountain Ridge Full Suspension Friction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my XR75 is pretty much complete and as reliable as I could ever wish for I was getting bored and decided to build another bike.
I had a Staton Friction kit that was still new in the box for a few months since I hadn't had the chance to install it on the little ladies bike and it was just screaming at me whenever I walked by it. So I bought a NEXT Mountain Ridge full suspension MTB with front disc to throw it on. My focus on this build is going to be simplicity and light weight since my other bike is a tank and I don't trust my trunk rack to bring it anywhere. I plan on taking this one around with me for fun and hopefully so I can get some people test riding and buying some. She's a really fun ride.

I'm probably going to paint the staton mounting hardware thats currently silver to black to match the rest of the swingarm and rack. I have it mounted in much the same way as I did on the XR75. Figured if it works why re-engineer it. I just mounted a couple 4 watt luxeon flashlights under the handlebar but haven't taken a picture of that yet.

Oh yeah, I'm running Continental Town & Country 26x2.1 with slime tubes. They make for a great ride so far.

Hope you enjoy the pix! More to come as soon as I work on it some more.

Attachments

• NMR1.jpg
    NMR1.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 4,154
  • NMR2.jpg
    NMR2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2,011
  • NMR3.jpg
    NMR3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,951
  • NMR4.jpg
    NMR4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 2,022
  • NMR5.jpg
    NMR5.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 2,268
  • NMR6.jpg
    NMR6.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,112
The DL thing has taken a back seat to house hunting. When the e-zip mods are done. It will be quite quick. I'm goin' to put a HT on el cheapo as a "plan B" bike to get to work and so my wife can try out. She wants scooter, but I want her to try a MB 1st.

Here are a few updated pics for y'all to enjoy. I bought these Element 4 watt Luxeon K2 LED flashlights in a 2 pack at Sam's club for $28 and attached them to the handlebar using some pipe clamps and electrical tape to reduce slippage and destroying the paint. These things put out 150 lumens a piece and should get 20 hours runtime out of 3 AAA batteries a piece.
I must buy some of those. Wish I woulda seen 'em a couple months ago.

SirJakesus

I'm looking at doing something similar for a bike I picked up for my wife and the seatstays are low.

Can you tell me a bit about the extensions you used off the U bracket? Were these something you made and if so how'd you go about fitting them?

Thanx

They sell them on statons website. They sell a 5in extension bracket and an 8in. Due to the fact that the frame is very low on the rear end of most dual suspension frames the 8in worked very well for me on both of my bikes. The 5in will probably be better for a hardtail bike. Best way to tell is to hook the U bracket where you want it then position the engine where it'll best suit your needs and measure to see how long an extension you need.
You could easily make some of these yourself with stock flat bar steel and some large bolts, locknuts and washers. Given that statons stuff is all zinc plated and made to exact measurements at a reasonable price I would buy from him if his sizes will work for you. I wouldn't doubt if he would do some custom length if you called him up and asked.
On the XR75 I took the time to grind and paint the u bracket and extensions so they didn't have the sharp edges that makes them look chunkier. I'm saving that for the winter when I have plenty of time to try to keep from going stir crazy.
As you always say... RIDE THAT THING!

Is that a Fiero GT i see in the background in NMR9?

The bike is looking good! I like the lights

Yep. It's my project car but it's currently suffering from timing problems. It's a fun ride though, handles great and they're almost non-existent around here. It has just over 100k miles on it.

serfas drifter tires

big bad Serfac Drifter tires (great choice).

Thanks for the tip, I bought a pair from R.E.I. and haven't had a flat in 2000 miles, they're a great ride, heavy duty sidewalls, I love them, Thanks again,

Fully Functional but still unfinished

Hey guys, the weather has been nasty around here for days so I figured I would get my bike up to riding condition and take some pictures in the much awaited sunshine.

I still have to cover the extension on the channel for looks and to ward off road spray. All lighting is LED supplied by a 14.8v 6350ma LiPo battery with BMS. The battery and wire harness are located in the in-frame bag which fit better than I could have ever hoped for. Everything works: Tail, brake, plate, directional and horn. The headlights are supplied by their own internal rechargeable batteries for the time being until I modify them to use the main battery. I'll probably keep their internal batteries usable for the unlikely event that my main starts to run low.
I still plan on getting a small messenger or laptop bag for the right side of the friction channel for hauling gear and some extra fuel.
The quad headlight is darn bright and I expect to be able to run flat out 30mph in total darkness if I choose, they have ample throw.
The wheels are outfitted with 4 monkeylectrics. A bit overkill and somewhat unnecessary BUT they look awesome and I'll be fully visible at night to the people in the 4 wheeled killing machines that speed around here all the time. I figure if I set them on yellow/orange color settings for main roads and maintain slow pattern changes it shouldn't tweak law enforcement out.

Tell me what you guys think, or ask any questions... I'm always welcome to suggestions. I'll be posting some more pix showing how this thing really lights up everything around it at night. Very fun to have all lights blazing in the pitch darkness of the New Hampshire sticks.

Thanks for viewing!

I hope you love it 5-7!!! Little underpowered for you with just ONE TLE43 though :D

Attachments

• P6160029.jpg
    P6160029.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 309
  • P6160031.jpg
    P6160031.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 258
  • P6160034.jpg
    P6160034.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 262
  • P6160036.jpg
    P6160036.jpg