NEXT Mountain Ridge Full Suspension Friction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my XR75 is pretty much complete and as reliable as I could ever wish for I was getting bored and decided to build another bike.
I had a Staton Friction kit that was still new in the box for a few months since I hadn't had the chance to install it on the little ladies bike and it was just screaming at me whenever I walked by it. So I bought a NEXT Mountain Ridge full suspension MTB with front disc to throw it on. My focus on this build is going to be simplicity and light weight since my other bike is a tank and I don't trust my trunk rack to bring it anywhere. I plan on taking this one around with me for fun and hopefully so I can get some people test riding and buying some. She's a really fun ride.

I'm probably going to paint the staton mounting hardware thats currently silver to black to match the rest of the swingarm and rack. I have it mounted in much the same way as I did on the XR75. Figured if it works why re-engineer it. I just mounted a couple 4 watt luxeon flashlights under the handlebar but haven't taken a picture of that yet.

Oh yeah, I'm running Continental Town & Country 26x2.1 with slime tubes. They make for a great ride so far.

Hope you enjoy the pix! More to come as soon as I work on it some more.

Attachments

• NMR1.jpg
    NMR1.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 4,161
  • NMR2.jpg
    NMR2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2,015
  • NMR3.jpg
    NMR3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,954
  • NMR4.jpg
    NMR4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 2,022
  • NMR5.jpg
    NMR5.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 2,273
  • NMR6.jpg
    NMR6.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,115
Hey SirJakesus I have that exact bike with the R/S 35 GEBE set up. I love the ride. The
front fork would bottom out when it was brand new but for some reason it tightened up after a hundred miles. Enjoy...terrence

nice clean build

that looks store bought.i liked my friction drive.i think there great,i live in monsoon territory 7 mnths of the year.and to many tires and clutches.but nice bike .:D

The only thing I'm not keen on for the bike itself is the lack of bottle mounts. It seems like a nice bike otherwise though so I'm pleased with it. We'll see how she treats me when it's got some more miles though. I rarely if ever ride when it rains so slippage shouldn't be a problem. Tires are really easy to change anyway.

Good to know the Gebe ring will fit... never know what the future may hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'm not keen on for the bike itself is the lack of bottle mounts. It seems like a nice bike otherwise though so I'm pleased with it. We'll see how she treats me when it's got some more miles though. I rarely if ever ride when it rains so slippage shouldn't be a problem. Tires are really easy to change anyway.

Good to know the Gebe ring will fit... never know what the future may hold.

NO!... sorry to say I had to modify (widen) the rear frame where the frame "bow's
in" at the brake caliper area. This is a huge problem with the GEBE set ups on
a lot of new bike styles. (the frame narrows at the caliper area not allowing the ring to fit)
I had to pound a 4.5" wood wedge between the frame to spread it, then put the
axle area into a big vise to squish the axle section back to orig width. (with the wedge still in)
Then re adjust the brake calipers to the rim. Worked great and everything realigned perfect.
I showed where on your bike photo below.
http://www.bikeengines.com/measure.htm

Attachments

• your_bike.jpg
    your_bike.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited:
Ouch, What a pain in the arse. I guess I'll stay away from the GEBE then. I dont like modifying frames. Glad to hear you got it to work though.

Free XR-250

Hey Jake,
Do you want my old XR-250, minus the crankset, RapidFire shifters and dérailleurs? It has some rust on the forks and fasteners. It has a front disc brake, although the rim its trashed, kept it for the disc on it. It has a 4-link rear suspension. I think its possible to put a stratton on it. The guy with a new XR-250 did it. Its a couple of years old. It doesn't look like the current model. I like the looks of it better actually. The frame tube are round and elliptical with a faux engine turning effect. I don't have any pics at the moment, I had to do a emergency reformat and the bike is in storage right now. All I want in return is to put a few miles on your XR-75.

I hated my suspension Next bike (cheaper model than yours). No matter how much I tightened the spring it was still too soft.

The suspension on this one feels rather firm and I don't fee anything bottoming out when I ride over rather substantial bumps.
I would have to get a trailer hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack to load my xr75 onto the back of my car. The NuVinci kit makes it a fairly heavy bike but it would probably feel similar to the weight on the back of your Trailz. In all honesty I like this bike a little better the 75 in some ways. It's a lot lighter and handles better for one, It sounds much quieter for some reason and I can take it with me on the cars trunk rack. It does require a lot of pedaling up the steep hills though since I have the 1.375in roller installed.
I honestly have enough parts although trigger shifters are the bawls ;)

Here are a few updated pics for y'all to enjoy. I bought these Element 4 watt Luxeon K2 LED flashlights in a 2 pack at Sam's club for $28 and attached them to the handlebar using some pipe clamps and electrical tape to reduce slippage and destroying the paint. These things put out 150 lumens a piece and should get 20 hours runtime out of 3 AAA batteries a piece. I went for a night ride with them last night and they let me see very well even when it was pitch dark around here. Very lightweight, good on batteries and the bulbs never need to be changed. Definitely recommended MB lighting for anybody interested.
The picture I took with the beams directly at the camera was taken during the day and it forced the auto exposure on the camera to dim the background so everything else in the picture is rather dark. Very concentrated beams with good floodlighting to boot. They look cool too!

Attachments

• NMR7.jpg
    NMR7.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 1,566
  • NMR8.jpg
    NMR8.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1,306
  • NMR9.jpg
    NMR9.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,290
  • NMR10.jpg
    NMR10.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 1,331
I was thinking of goin down to you actually. We have the hitch bike rack. my brother in law lives in Amherst. The wife could visit them while we play.
If you don't want it I'll save it for a Cyclone.

I'd be down with chillin' and tooling with bikes. Only problem is what bikes to bring!?! :)
I have too many already so it's best if you keep it especially if you like it and it'll go to good use. I could make the trip on the XR or drive the car and tow the ezip and NEXT.

Aren't you due to get your credentials back relatively soon? Full suspension gassers are a blast and a half. That way you'd have an electric for silent running and a carbon burner for adrenaline rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back