Next project, looking for pointers ahead of time

Ride hard means what? All the race guy's use aluminum frames and put more hp than most though them cornering as hard as possible usually to what ever the tires will permit which puts alot of stress on the frame on top of the engines drive line stresses and again fair well. Now when it comes to riding the street and trails or where ever and you have to deal with bumps, holes, rut's and such low speeds is not too bad but hit a hole at 50+ or catch a rut the wrong way and well hopefully your a good rider or you may be doing some damage and then yes aluminum is more likely to just break when severe enough. In most cases an aluminum frame is plenty strong or the downhill racers would be using something else also, this debate could be endless and really just comes down to personal preference and abilities.
I'm on a vintage MTB forum and the amount of old MTB's made from Aluminum with cracked or fractured head tubes is off the charts. That said, one bike I've had my eye out for a long time is the Aluminum framed Raleigh M40-M50's. They're just a comfortable riding bike under human power and light enough to be easy hill climbing. I would never engine power an Al fame used for transportation purposes.

Back