Next project, looking for pointers ahead of time

As mentioned it takes more skill to weld aluminum. If you need to drill holes and tap them out for bolt ons it's much easier to strip the new bolt holes out in aluminum.

I do agree with Street Ryderz and Chainlube that aluminum frame builds can be built strong. That being said I personally suggest a beginner builder start out with steel frames first. They tend to be more forgiving.

As mentioned it takes more skill to weld aluminum. If you need to drill holes and tap them out for bolt ons it's much easier to strip the new bolt holes out in aluminum.

I do agree with Street Ryderz and Chainlube that aluminum frame builds can be built strong. That being said I personally suggest a beginner builder start out with steel frames first. They tend to be more forgiving.
You can expect it to break, especially if you ride it hard. I have a steel bike for when I want to go over an edge.

I'm 53, my son is 15. I know my ride is easy on flat and I was clocking 40 km/h as my top speed and don't care to go faster. No rough riding for me. Now the boy is a different story. May prove aluminum was not a smart buy.

I'm 53, my son is 15. I know my ride is easy on flat and I was clocking 40 km/h as my top speed and don't care to go faster. No rough riding for me. Now the boy is a different story. May prove aluminum was not a smart buy.
Front suspension and a suspension seat on 2 inch wide tires makes for a very comfortable ride.

Ride hard means what? All the race guy's use aluminum frames and put more hp than most though them cornering as hard as possible usually to what ever the tires will permit which puts alot of stress on the frame on top of the engines drive line stresses and again fair well. Now when it comes to riding the street and trails or where ever and you have to deal with bumps, holes, rut's and such low speeds is not too bad but hit a hole at 50+ or catch a rut the wrong way and well hopefully your a good rider or you may be doing some damage and then yes aluminum is more likely to just break when severe enough. In most cases an aluminum frame is plenty strong or the downhill racers would be using something else also, this debate could be endless and really just comes down to personal preference and abilities.

My steel Giant build vibrates like all get out. The aluminum build is very smooth. The al frame soaks up the vibrations better.

Aluminum frames are built stiffer because aluminum has no stress tolerance before cyclic fatigue occurs. So by making the frame stiffer, the less its affected by alternating stress.

Steel is going to absorb the bumps better due to its higher elasticity (ability to spring back). Aluminum under stress either causes fatigue (stress over time eventually ending in breaking, cracking) or plastic deformation (being permanantly mis-shapen).

That's why you see larger diameter aluminum tubes because its stiffer. Some bike frames are put together under tension as well to increase rigidity. Frame geometry is important too for comfort.

But for the average rider/hobbyist I'd say you could only go wrong by pairing an aluminum frame with aluminum mag wheels and having no suspension and while riding on rough roads.

Just pick whatever frame looks cool 😄.

Last edited:
Back